cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem when attempting to migrate BE2010 R3 servers

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

I am attempting to migrate from my current BE2010 R3 server, to a clean BE2010 R3 server, but I am running into an issue when following the instructions detailed in ArticleID TECH67296.

The instructions say to stop the BE services on both the the old and new media server, then stop the SQL Server instance and then to copy the Data and Catalogs from the old media server to the new one, in the exact same location.   I then make the appropriate change to the SQL database on the

However, when I start the SQL Server and BE Services on the new media server, and I go into the Devices tab, I see my old media server listed, in addition to my new media server, and all the Device Pools are showing under the old media server name and are 'offline'.    My media pools are all on network resources, so none of them are direct attached, but it was my expectation that by changing the server name using the osql commands, that the media pools would be listed under my new media server, and the old server wouldn't even show up in my Devices list.

One thing I did notice is that inside the 'Catalogs' folder on each server there was a subfolder called 'incomplete' as well as one called '<SERVER-NAME>'

If I'm following the instructions in tech article and just copying the old media server's Data and Catalog folders to the new media server, that would mean that there would still be a reference to the old media server in the Catalog folder on the new media server, yes?   Is there an additional step that I'm missing, where I have to rename the <'OLD-SERVER-NAME'> folder in Catalogs, once I copy it to the new media server?

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to edit BEDB to remove old server name from the devices tab.

Refer to https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/upgrading-125-2010-server-upgrade-2003-2008

Note: Be very carefull while editing BEDB, make a copy of the database before making any changes.

Open Restore window and check if you are able to see all the backup sets, if everything looks normal

in the restore window then I don't feel there is any issue with the catalogs.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You're being advised to edit the BEDB that not even Symantec advises you do without their help. If you have support, contact them and get their approval and help if need be...

Thanks!

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

The instructions in the tech article mention modifying the bedb (hostname only) but even that doesn't answer the question of what happens if I copy the <oldserver> folder from the original media server's Catalogs folder, to the new media server.   I don't see how editing the db explains why I'm seeing both media servers listed in devices after I followed the instructions and I'm nearly positive it has to do with copying that Catalogs subfolder without renaming it.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...try this:

1. Stop your BE services

2. Rename your current Catalogs folder to Catalogs.old

3. start up the BE services and it should recreate a new folder.

4. Stop the BE services, copy the contents of your old folder to this and start up the BE services again.

5. Open a command prompt and navigate to your BE installation directory, before typing: bemig. Let the BEDB migrate across and check again...

Colin_Weaver

The content of the catalogs folder cannot affect what devices are shown in the Devices sceren of the Backup Exec console, as such although you might have a subfolder in Catalogs that is the old media server name, this will not be the cause of your problem.

The devices layout as seen inside the BE Console is all part of the Device and Media database (ADAMM) which therefore relates directly to the content of the SQL Based BEDB, hence all the comments above about the BEDB are applicable.

With regards the subfolder in the catalogs all that shows is what media server did the backup in the first place. Backup Exec should still enumerate and use the catalog content of the old subfolder. This is as long as a service restart or a CATREBUILDINDEX -R command has been run since that folder was copied across. The way to see if this has worked is open up some restore selections and see if some data from before your migration  is listed for restore.

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

So if I issue the 'UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName='NEW_MEDIA_SERVER' WHERE PartitionID =0 command after I copy the Data and Catalogs folders over to my new media server, when I start the BE services on the new media server the backup devices should show up under my new media server's name, and not under the old media server, correct?

This is where the problem occurred when I attempted this migration last time.

AmolB

Under new media server name you should see the devices which connected to the new media server

and the device which were connected to the old media server will appear in offline state below the old

media server.

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

So then I need to create new devices on the new media server, that mirror the device settings from the old media server?  I thought that changing the media server name in the BEDB before turning up the new media server's BE services was part of that process.

AmolB

If the destination device is a B2D folder on a NAS device or any other external storage then you 

just need to map the new folders to the existing ones. If its a tape library connected to the new

media server then it will automatically appear under the new media server. 

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say 'map the new folders to the existing ones'.

Do you mean just replicate the B2D configuration and then perform an inventory from the new B2D folder?