cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Backup Exec 2010 loosing itself in endless "folder-iterations"

derstefan
Level 2

Hi

First of all, I'm already in contact with the symantec support, but they are soooooooo slow, that now I hope to find maybe a solution for my problem in this forum - maybe some of you have had the same issue. I mean, we're an enterprise and I'm now in contact with the support for over  week... And we cannot backup!

Our System: Windows Server 2008 R2 with Active Directory and Backup Exec 2010 installed. We want to backup to a external tape drive which is fully compatible to the server (both server and drive are from HP).
We want to backup some some individual folders containing just a fiew data and also the "C:\Users"-Folder.
The problem is, during backup, Backup Exec seems to loose itself in endless folder-iterations, as it creates folders and many subfolders in e.g. "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData", which during non-backup-time don't exist.

For example:
These folders exist: "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData" containing "Roaming", "Local Low" and "Local"
During backup, Backup Exec creates in this subfolder "Local" another subfolder "Application Data" containing a few files and subfolder. And in this subfolder "Application Data" it creates another folder "Application Data" and so on...
And this happens for many other folders like:
"C:\Users\Administrator\Local Settings"
"C:\Users\Default User\AppData"
"C:\Users\Default User\Local Settings"
"C:\Users\Public\Local Settings"
etc.

And at the end, backup doesn't finish - it takes several hours, the job rate falls down from about 1900 MB/min to maybe 50 MB/min and the backup isn't successfull...

Anyone knows this issue?

P.S. I already tried deleting the backup job and creating a new one - no change at all...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

derstefan
Level 2

I finally got an answer from Symantec Support and in my case it solved the problem.
Open the settings of your backup-job and go to: Settings > Advanced
Deactivate/uncheck the following two options:
- Back up files and directories by following junction points
- Back up files and directories by following symbolic links (unchecked by default)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

derstefan
Level 2
Oh, I forgot - an extract from the log. (Open file Agent is installed)

Lynx
Not applicable
The backup server is a Windows 2003 R2 machine running Backup Exec for Servers 12.5.  The machine that Backup Exec is having the problem with is a Windows Vista machine.

The log file entry is similar in that it has the following structure: C:\Users\acctname\App Data\Local\Application Data.....where application data and the folders within are replicated on the backup 29 times.  The message at the end of each path is:  V-79-57344-33928-Access is Denied. 

The file structure within each Application Data iteration appears to be identical to that of the folder above it.  In this case the first folder is named Local.

derstefan
Level 2

I finally got an answer from Symantec Support and in my case it solved the problem.
Open the settings of your backup-job and go to: Settings > Advanced
Deactivate/uncheck the following two options:
- Back up files and directories by following junction points
- Back up files and directories by following symbolic links (unchecked by default)