cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with BackupExec 2010

SICLogic
Level 2

Hi folks.

I'm having a problem on my backup system and i would apreciate any help. Goes like this:

I have an old Media Server (physical server) with Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 and a SCSI external LTO1 tape drive and my actual full backup (fior about 200GB) job takes between 14 and 15 hours.

We are in a changing fase to migrate to Backup-to-disk, and in the first tests, we attached an external USB 2.0 hard disk to the new server that will be the Media Server, with Symantec Backup Exec 2010, and the job (for about  435GB), is taking between 43 and 46 hours.

A couple of weeks ago, i received a HP X1600 storage, with 6TB SAS hard disks, in Raid 5, to be the storage for the backup-to-disk solution, and i started testing.

First i installed Symantec Backup Exec 2010 on the X1600 and created a job similar to the first Media Server 2010, but pointing to the hard disks inside the own machine, it was making a transfer rate similar to the external hard disk in the other Media Server.

After that, i pointed the first Media Server 2010 job to a share in the storage, and in the beggining the transfer rate was about 5 times faster, but at the end, it reduced to the same as the backup job to the external hard disk.

This can't be normal, right?

How can i increase the speed of the backup or find out what is slowing the job?

Thank a lot.

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What kind of network do you have, is it 100Mb or 1000Mb ?

SICLogic
Level 2

Hi.

It's a mixed infrastructure. I have servers with gigabit connections, and as there's not enough ports, others are at 100Mb.

That was something i allready thought: it creating strict vlan's for the servers, if it will speed up the traffic between them... By now i have subnet's defined for the servers, but not vlan's.