Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Exchange Mailbox Recovery - BackupExec 12.5

Kreuzi2000
Level 2
Hi @ all,
maybe somebody can help me.
We make a backup of the Exchange 2003 from our Customer everyday with GRT, and everytime when we have to restore something it takes a loooong time. Today i have restored one folder with about 120 mails, BackupExec takes 55 minutes for the restore, he makes a compete restore of the hole exchange in the TEMP directory, he needs more than 100GB disk space for this. The byte count in BackupExec shows more than 111GB.
I don´t know why he restores the complete Exchange-DB but it ist really boring.
Perhaps someone can tell me whether this is normal behavior or whether preferences are wrong? 
T
hank you very much
! Regards
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
When backing on Exchange to tape and using GRT this is normal.  Since Backup Exec places the entire database on the tape, Backup Exec has to stage the database on the disk before it can pull the messages selected for restore out of the database. 

If you were to backup Exchange to disk the restores would work a lot faster.  Since everything is already on the disk with this option, Backup Exec can just go into the database files and pull the messages directly out and put them back in exchange.

Kreuzi2000
Level 2
OK, thanks a lot!

teiva-boy
Level 6
So in other words, use a policy to backup to disk first, then a subsequent duplicate job that copies the disk backup to tape...

This way when you need to restore, the initial disk backup is still there.  And only go to tape if you absolutely have to.

This same process also applies to the Active Directory restores, Sharepoint, and Vmware.Hyper-V.