cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with LTO 3 and Backup Exec 9.0

ECamp
Not applicable
I have a problem with my tape drive and Backup Exec 9.0. This software doesn’t recognize that tape drive and I can’t use this software with my drive. The drive is an HP StorageWorks 920 Ultrium 3.

Thanks for all.

Enrique
4 REPLIES 4

Vich
Level 3
I would love to see an answer to this.    I have that exact drive sitting on my office floor awaiting installation on a Windows 2000 Server and I have Backup Exec 9.1.

I did notice that there's a new service pack (SP5) for version 9.1 from Feb 2007.    The SP description does not seem to mention adding LTO drive support.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The 920 isn't on the v9.1 HCL, but the 960 is

Try the latest driver pak at

Vich
Level 3
Thanks Ken -

I don't know what the "HCL" is - guessing that's the supported drives.   Isn't that odd that 960 (a later drive) is on the list.

I can still return my 920, pay a little more, and get a 960.  

Any way to know for sure if it'll work - or does your comment "isn't on the v9.1 HCL" basically say it won't work (reliably).

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
HCL - Hardware Compatibility List

that just means that a specific model had been tested by Symantec against a specific version of Backup Exec

As long as the manufacturer's Windows drivers allow NTBackup to see and access the hardware, BackupExec should be able to also.  When you run the driver setup, just tell it to use existing drivers

If you run hardware that is not on the list and run into problems, then you have a harder time getting Symantec to help you.  But since v9.1 has been End-Of-Life for a year, that is a moot point