Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Verify on 11d Ver 7170

RossG
Level 4
Partner
System Specs -
Recent Install of 11D (Rev 7170) on Small bushiness Server 2003 (SP2).
--All patches installed on for ver 7170 and the server. 
--All Bios upgrade are performed on the Dell Power edge 2650
-- Have a raid controller Perc3/di (Adaptec) connected to 3 drive cage
--Have on board dual Adaptec 39160 (updated the driver and Bios)   Channel A has only one device 
  connected to external Dell Powervault 110 Ultruim 2 (200GB/400GB)  

When we do a backup without verify ... it finishes successfully.
When we turn on the verify.  The backup fails, I tried this both with Dell Recommended Driver and Symantec driver (3/2007)  for the tape drive Cetrance LTO (ultruim 2) 

The Error Log says
Final error: 0xe00084c8 - The backup storage device has failed.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link
V-79-57344-33992
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Verify- C:
Storage device "CERTANCE 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.
Error reported:
When accessing a new tape of a multivolume partition, the current block size is incorrect.
V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed.

I look at the link with Symanrtec suggesstion to possible cause and solution

In almost all cases, these messages are being posted due to hardware problems with either the controller or, more likely, a device that is attached to the controller in question. The hardware problems can be associated with poor cabling, incorrect termination or transfer rate settings, lazy or slow device responses to relinquish the SCSI bus, a faulty device, or, in very rare cases, a poorly written device driver.
The Devices passes the read write test with Dell Tape utility so I don't think the external cable or the drive device is bad, there is no termination on the external drive but I dont think that could be the cause.

I am not sure about the tranfsfer rate changes on the SCSI 39160 controller , since I never have to adjust these at all and I am not sure if the embedded controller on the motherboard is bad since the drive passes all the test by Dell tape utility.  

I appreciate any feedback on this issue ASAP as I am not sure although the backup is successful without verify, I can rely on this in case of restore because of possible read errors.

Much Regards
Ross

3 REPLIES 3

Scott_P
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hi Ross,

It sounds like you have performed all the right steps, updating drivers/firmware for all applicable hardware, etc. That being said, I'd like you to try the following:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/191087

Please make the change it mentions (you can follow the instructions for 10d, it's the same in 11d, making the modification using BEUtility). After making the change, restart the services, run the job again, and keep me posted as to the results.

Best regards,
Scott

RossG
Level 4
Partner
I did as per article you dend me I still have the same issue.. it seems that vlue does not stay the same when you restart the services.. but I tried when we unchecked Async I/O and the issue is still there.. I am not sure what else to trry.   I also noticed on this installation live update does not bering the hort fixes.. I have to do that manually.

I appreciate any help on this issue.

Regards
Ross

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Ive noticed this as well. Same thing is happening here.