cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with pdi#_strm.bin files filling up drive

baskervi1
Level 3

We have a Windows Server 2008R2 running BE 15. The backups themselves are copied into a folder on the QuikStor drive (media is rotated out each morning) called Veritas. However, we have a myriad of IMG0000## folders that contain several pdi##_strm.bin files, some of which are very old. On our 1 TB media, half the drive space is taken up by these, and since our backups require around 500 GB, these files are causing the backups to fail. I've tried various settings for Storage, including "Media Overwrite Protection Level: None" and "Allow Backup Exec to delete all expire backup sets: <checked>". Inside the configured job, "Keep for: 4 days" is configured. Given the date stamp, which may be months old, I don't think they contain the data on our server. How do I get rid of these, so that I have sufficient data for backups? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The pdi##_strm.bin files along with the contents of the IMG folders are crucial for GRT restores.

If you are quite sure that these are very old backup sets and are not dependent to any of the present backup sets, try deleting them via the UI first. If they are not present in the UI, then delete them from the storage itself.

Alternatively, pls log a support case. Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I hope that you are backing up directly to the Quickstor drive because copying backup sets from one dish to another is not recommended. The reason why your old backup sets are not deleted is, your disk is offline when DLM grooms the expired backup sets. You should leave your disk online for a longer than 4 hours

baskervi1
Level 3

Thanks for the response. We are doing a full backup every night to the disk, the disk is rotated to a safe, and I'd like to over-write everything on the disk weekly. If I understand you correctly, the older data in the IMAG folders won't be needed. Is that correct?

baskervi1
Level 3

We are backing up directly to the Quickstor drive. We insert the disk around 9 a.m. each morning, and the backups don't start until 6 p.m., so they are technically inserted for 24 hour periods at a time with the exception of the one on Friday, which is in all weekend.