cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with rights on Remote Console In BE12,5 SP2

ramircar
Level 3
Partner
I set my backup environment. And now I install one remote console to administration with a user  "Domain User" but is not  possible. Only Is Possible if  to user has "Domain Admins" rights.

But I need to have a user with Read-Only rights. What are the rights minimun?
I don´t  want that one user XXX is having "Domain Admins" rights, for Backup Operator only.

Any IDEA???...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, we just went through this exercise with our site reps. They all had domain admin rights, so could do as they pleased on the servers. As part of a security lock-down, their domain admin rights were removed, and they were given the necessary rights to do their jobs. Part of their work affected was logging onto the backup server each day to check the backups.
This was remedied by giving them the Remote Console, complete with installation guide. Furthermore, they were given Backup Operators rights on their specific site server.
Works like a charm if you want to give the minimal rights to do the job.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Please make the account local administrator on Backup Exec server, that should work.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You are not alone in your request. 

Hermant's suggestion will still give the account full BackupExec admin rights ie create and modify jobs, schedules, selection lists etc.

There used to be an Add-On called ExecView that would let you assign IDs that could monitor jobs, and /or respond to alerts, but make no changes to BackupExec itself   That disappeared when v11 cam along

You can add your request for something similar on the Ideas area
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas

ramircar
Level 3
Partner
I did before starting this forum and does not work.-

ramircar
Level 3
Partner
It is a great security problem.
So we continue to expect a solution from Symantec engineers?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

WE  can continue to hope

but Expect?  I don't know.  It has been three versions and still no ExecView equivalent.  The more users who ask for it, the better chance that it will be added to a future release

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, we just went through this exercise with our site reps. They all had domain admin rights, so could do as they pleased on the servers. As part of a security lock-down, their domain admin rights were removed, and they were given the necessary rights to do their jobs. Part of their work affected was logging onto the backup server each day to check the backups.
This was remedied by giving them the Remote Console, complete with installation guide. Furthermore, they were given Backup Operators rights on their specific site server.
Works like a charm if you want to give the minimal rights to do the job.