cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Restoring BE 2014 Backup Set for Non-Existing Server

scottl2k
Level 3

I have three backup sets that were created as "snapshots" just to back up certain files on a specific server.

The server was "MyServer.domain.local".

Since the time that the backups were made, the server and the entire domain were decommisioned. The new domain includes "MyServer.newDomain.local".  (same server name, new domain)

The catalogs for these tapes exist... they were recovered from the old machine. But, the old server doesn't appear in the "All Servers" group for "Backup and Restore". Recataloging the tape seems to complete very quickly, and doing so also fails to restore the server to the list. Because I can't select the server, I'm unable to restore the files, or redirect them to a new location.

If I look under storage, at the specific tapes, the Backup Sets in question can be seen, as can the old server name. If I drill-down further, I can see all of the files that were in the backup set.

How can I restore the server to the servers list so that I can select the files for restoration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This might sound like an odd thing to have to do

1) Create a Host File  entry on your Backup Exec server for MyServer.domain.local and set it to an IP address of one of your current servers that still runs our remote agent - also create an entry for just MyServer with the same IP address

2) Make sure you can ping myserver and myserver.domain.local from the BE server (even though it is really pinging your current remore server that has a different name)

3) Manually add an entry into the BE console (Backup and Restore section) for Myserver.domian.local (if this does not already exist) - this may try to push the remote agent - but as it will already be installed because you used an IP address for a current server running AWS it should skip that bit

4) Then re-catalog the tapes you think your data is on

Can you now do redirected restores etc?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried looking for these old backup sets under the new server name?

@pkh wrote:

Have you tried looking for these old backup sets under the new server name?

If I understand your idea correctly, then I believe so....

• Go to the "Backup and Restore" tab
    • Shows three servers including MyServer.NewDomain.local
    • Select MyServer.NewDomain.Local (doesn't seem to matter which I choose)
  • Go to the "Storage" tab
    • Choose the tape
    • Double-Click brings up "Backup Sets"
    • Right-Click set for MyServer.OldDomain.local, and choose "Restore"
    • (If I double-click this backup set, "Snapshot Copy" screen shows correct contents)
  • "Restore Wizard" Dialog appears
    • Change date range so that it should include backup set.
    • "Resource View" tab only shows MyServer.NewDomain.Local

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  That is not what I mean.

The second action (going to the Storage) tab is independent of the first or the third action.  You will always get your backup sets and will be able to restore from them.

What I meant is

1) Go to the "Backup and Restore" tab and select MyServer.NewDomain.Local

2) Select something which you are sure is in the backup set from MyServer.OldDomain.local and you would be given a choice of which backup set to restore from.  See whether the snapshot from MyServer.OldDomain.local is in the restore list.

2) Select something which you are sure is in the backup set from MyServer.OldDomain.local and you would be given a choice of which backup set to restore from.  See whether the snapshot from MyServer.OldDomain.local is in the restore list.

I'd like to be sure that I'm getting this right... if I'm on the "Backup and Restore" tab, I've selected MyServer.NewDomain.local, then how do I proceed?

• Right-Click -> Restore
  • Top Ribbon -> Restore
  • Go to Storage tab...

I've poked around in what seems like every direction... the only time, so far, that I've seen any sign of my old data is under Storage Tab -> Slots (tape changer) -> Slot X -> Backup Sets (Here I see the old server name the time and date of the backup, and the expiration (which seems to have been the same day) and then I can double-click the backup set to get to Contents, which shows me the files.

If I try to search for known files in the Restore dialogs, I can't find them, and I had no luck trying to specify part of the path.  I've found no sign at all of these backup sets anywhere other than under "Storage".

Thanks for your patience... I'm fairly desperate to get this figured out.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Create a Host File  entry on your Backup Exec server for MyServer.domain.local and set it to an IP address of one of your current servers that still runs our remote agent - also create an entry for just MyServer with the same IP address

2) Make sure you can ping myserver and myserver.domain.local from the BE server (even though it is really pinging your current remore server that has a different name)

3) Manually add an entry into the BE console (Backup and Restore section) for Myserver.domian.local (if this does not already exist) - this may try to push the remote agent - but as it will already be installed because you used an IP address for a current server running AWS it should skip that bit

4) Then re-catalog the tapes you think your data is on

Can you now do redirected restores etc?

@Colin_Weaver wrote:

This seems to have done it!

I didn't even need to re-catalog the tapes.

Thank You!!!!