cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems backing up Domain Controller

Neil_Shotton
Level 3
Im trying to backup out domain controller but the job fails all the time. Keeps saying that a certain 2 files are corrupt. I've looked at the knowledge area and it says use Advanced Open File Options i've done this and it still fails when set to automatic. The other option is to turn off Advanced Open File Options and then in the Advanced Options set the Open file backup selection to never.
I've also tried this and it still fails.

Im i missing something here? Has anyone else had these type of problems?
9 REPLIES 9

scott_schreiber
Level 3
What kind of files are they?

Neil_Shotton
Level 3
The problem file is cnetcfg.dll.

This is part of the system state, the location is C:\WINNT\system32\cnetcfg.dll.

The error i get is this is a corrupt file.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
On my domain controller I am getting "Ran out of memory" every so often. Then I have to do a defrag and in a couple of days I get the same error. Symantec support said it isn't their problem and made me open up a call with microsoft. I am hoping either microsoft can fix it if it is their problem or tell me why or what is happening when the BE 11 is running so that I can get symantec to fixed it.

Clive_Hunt
Level 3
Were you using an earlier version of BE? If so did this problem occur after the upgrade? If it did then I would say that this problem lies with Symantec.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
Before this error started to occur, we was at BE 10.1 d

Once we went to BE 11 this is when our "out of memory" error started.

Clive_Hunt
Level 3
i've just upgraded (wish I hadnt now), so I'm going to run one backup this evening and then see about downgrading to 10.1d tomorrow as the exchange agent that we have did not receive the free upgrade as per my current posting.

Neil_Shotton
Level 3
I've had the corrupt file error on both version 10d and 11d.

Does using the evaluation version make a difference?

Bj_rn_Halstad
Level 4
Employee
Eval will not make a difference. Have you tested with using NTBackup to do a System State backup?

If there are no errror using NTBackup enable debug of the remote agent and also set the ndmp debug level to 1.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/250681
When the job has completed, search for the dll file in the debug log and see what error it gives.
Remember to turn off debugging when you are done.....

Neil_Shotton
Level 3
I've just tried this and get the same result through NTBACKUP.

Thanks for the pointer, it looks like it could be a problem on the domain controller.
I'm going to try this on our backup domain controller to see if i get similar results.