cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems backing up two backup jobs to two tape drives in BE 12.5

Lee_Higginbotha
Level 3

Good afternoon,

I currently am running BE 12.5 with a Dell PV2000TL with 2 HH LTO4 tape drives.  I have an LEO license and is operational and can back up to both drives.

However, when I have two different jobs one going to each drive, the 2nd job is held in queue and does not start.

I currently have the slots partitioned.  But here is what is interesting:

Slots 1-11, 19-20 and 23 (Cleaning tape) are partitioned to the first drive with the properly labeled media for the frst backup job.

Slots 12-23 are partitioned to the second drive with the properly labeled media for the second backup job.

So, question is 3 fold:

1.  Is there a configuration change that I have to make in order for one backup job to run to tape one and the second backup job to run to tape two?

2.  Can I make the configuration where all the slots are available to both tape drives?

3.  If I can't for question #2, then can I have say, 1-12 for drive 1 and 13-22 (23 for both as it is the cleaning cartridge) for drive 2

Thank you all for your time and attention to this matter.  It is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you want to configure it as one big lbrary with two drives you need to configure the library with the web interface as 1 logical library.

If you have only 11 slots for drive 1, you probably have enabled the mail slot.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

2.  Can I make the configuration where all the slots are available to both tape drives?

That is what should be the way it works now

Are both tape drives the same type?

Are your jobs pointed at the partitions rather that a drive or the library itself or "All Pools"?

Are there active alerts on the Alerts Tab?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited
1) Jobs should be pointed towards the partitions. And the partitions should have sufficient media to run the respective backup jobs. 3) No need to define a cleaning slot. I am comfortable in doing it manually. Do manual cleaning once in a while on the drive, depending on the usage. By doing so you can have one more data cartridge in the library. Configure 1-12, 13-23 into one partition. Regards....

Lee_Higginbotha
Level 3

Ken,

Thank you for your input.

Both drives are the same model and brand.  In the jobs, they are pointed to the device and I don't see a way to point it to a partition unless you are calling a drive a partition.  My options for jobs are:

Device Pool - All Devices & Tape Pool

Backup Server - Backup-to-Disk Folder 1, IBM 2 which had the physical drive IBM 5 and IBM 6 which had the physical drive IBM 7

The acutal jobs are split between IBM 5 & IBM 7

With using the All Devices in a backup job, wouldn't that use both drives for each job?  No, there are no active Alerts.

Sincerely,

Lee

Lee_Higginbotha
Level 3

Kiran,

Thank you for your input.

I don't see how I can point to a partition in the actual backup job, here are my devices:

Device Pool - All Devices & Tape Pool

Backup Server - Backup-to-Disk Folder 1, IBM 2 which had the physical drive IBM 5 and IBM 6 which had the physical drive IBM 7

The acutal jobs are split between IBM 5 & IBM 7

I see what you are saying about the tape cleaning.  I have sufficient room in the library to be able to keep the cleaning tape in slot 3.

Sincerely,

Lee

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Q2. Can I make the configuration where all the slots are available to both tape drives?

Yes, see page 4-20/4-21 in the manual:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/stor-sys/tl2k4k/en/ug/UG_en.pdf

Please note that you will need a Library Extension Option (LEO) license to get it work in Backup Exec.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sounds like your partitioning did not take

Try deleteing the partitions and recreating them

If that doesn't work, try repairing the BEDB usint BEUTIL

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you share the screenshot of the Devices tab in BE Console

Also a screenshot from Backup Job (Device and Media Section) with the list of devices showing up

Lee_Higginbotha
Level 3

ZeRoC00L,

Thanks for your reply.

I only have 11 Active Slots available in the drop down on Logical Library 1 and 12 Active Slots available in the drop down on Logical Library 2.

I have the LEO for BE and it is applied.

Sincerely,

Lee

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you want to configure it as one big lbrary with two drives you need to configure the library with the web interface as 1 logical library.

If you have only 11 slots for drive 1, you probably have enabled the mail slot.

Lee_Higginbotha
Level 3

ZeRoC00L,

Thank you!  That was exactly the problem.  Thank you all for all your input and responses.  It is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Lee