cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems installing ServicePack 1 for BE 10

Level 3
Hi,
I have a problem while installing ServicePack 1 for BE 10. In the end of the installation process the msi-installer rolls back my installation.

I can't figure out, where the problem is. The knowledgebase also can't provide me a solution.

The bkupinst.log shows this (don't be surprised about the german/english language mix - the system (Windows Server 2003) is english, BE 10 is a german version) :

04-12-2005,17:02:22 : Logging: catUpgrade : Upgrading Database Schema

04-12-2005,17:02:22 : Error code=2: catUpgrade : fail to CreateProcess for running osql command: osql -E -dBEDB -i "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\betopcat.sql" -S SRV50\ -o "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_out.out"

04-12-2005,17:02:22 : Error code=2: catUpgrade : fail to CreateProcess for running bcp command: bcp "select * from BEDB.dbo.ImageObjectView" queryout "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_image_query.out" -c -S SRV50 -T

04-12-2005,17:02:22 : Aktualisierung der Katalogdatenbank ist fehlgeschlagen. Ausführliche Informationen finden Sie in C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\\bcp_out.out.

04-12-2005,17:02:22 : Fehlgeschlagen

04-12-2005,17:02:22 : Failure 1 running migration library 2

04-12-2005,17:02:22 : lp_MG_Start failed with error 1

04-12-2005,17:02:28 : Rolling back stop of BE services.

I hope someone can provide me a solution.
9 REPLIES 9

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

Thank you for posting your query,

Please perform repair of Backup exec, you may refer to the follwing,

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

After repairing Backup exec run the setup again.

We hope this information helps, if you have any other questions please respond to the post and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be Assumed Answered and archived.

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
Please update us on this case

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be Assumed Answered and archived.

Level 3
Hello again,

that's what I did :

- complete uninstall of the german version of backup Exec 10.
- reboot the Server.
- install Backup Exec 10 english version.
- reboot the Server.
- start Backup Exec 10 and configure media sets and devices.
- install Service Pack 1 for Backup Exec 10.
- MSI Installer again rolls back the installation.

The Log shows this :
--------------------------------

04-14-2005,14:56:45 : Logging: catUpgrade : Upgrading Database Schema

04-14-2005,14:56:45 : Error code=2: catUpgrade : fail to CreateProcess for running osql command: osql -E -dBEDB -i "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\betopcat.sql" -S SRV50\ -o "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_out.out"

04-14-2005,14:56:45 : Error code=2: catUpgrade : fail to CreateProcess for running bcp command: bcp "select * from BEDB.dbo.ImageObjectView" queryout "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_image_query.out" -c -S SRV50 -T

04-14-2005,14:56:45 : Catalog Database upgrade failed. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\\bcp_out.out contains detailed information.

04-14-2005,14:56:45 : Failed

04-14-2005,14:56:45 : Failure 1 running migration library 2

04-14-2005,14:56:45 : lp_MG_Start failed with error 1

04-14-2005,14:56:51 : Rolling back stop of BE services.

Level 3
Maybe it could be interresting for you that Backup Exec 10 is installed on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and the Database is located on a Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP3a.

Level 3
Why nobody helps me to solve that problem ? I am a little disappointed about the support.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Couple of things I need you to check for me..you shouldn't have to do this - but seeing you are having issues, need to find out where the exact problem is - and maybe workaround it by running some commands manually.

I take it this is a brand new installation of BE - with no jobs etc setup - if this is not the case, before you do anything below, can you run beutility.exe found in C:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\ directory, right click the servername and choose Dump Database - take a copy of C:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\data\bedb.bak file and put it somewhere safe.

1. Does C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\betopcat.sql exist on the media server?

2. Can you check the C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_out.out - does it have any particular errors at the end?

3. Again for C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_image_query.out - can you post any relevant errors.

4. Whilst logged in as the user you are using to run the SP1 update:-
From the media server cmd prompt - can you run:-
osql -E -S SRV50\
If you connect OK it should come back as 1> - if you get anything else, can you post the error message.
Exit out if the connection is fine.

4. If Step 3 lets you connect OK - can you run this command from the cmd prompt -
osql -E -dBEDB -i "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\betopcat.sql" -S SRV50\ -o "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_out.out"

5. If Step 4 works - run this command from a command prompt on the media server -
bcp "select * from BEDB.dbo.ImageObjectView" queryout "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_image_query.out" -c -S SRV50 -T

6. If both the commands above work - I think this will take care of the catalog upgrade for the SP1 installation - we can now take out this part from the SP1 installation - so the error shouldn't happen.
To do this..
Rename C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\migconfig.xml
Copy in the migconfig.xml I have attached to this message.

Run the SP1 installation again.

Level 3
Sorry, but i can't find any program called osql.

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT>osql -E -S SRV50\
'osql' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Do I have to install osql separately?

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\betopcat.sql exists on the media server.
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_out.out and C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bcp_image_query.out do not exist on the media server.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
OK, now i see what this is failing.

osql.exe should be found in C:\program files\microsoft sql server\80\tools\binn - it gets installed as part of MSDE installation - even though you are using a SQL server on a different server for the BE database - MSDE will still get installed locally.

You may want to add this to the path on the media server - so it can be run from any directory.
Once you can do osql -E -S SRV50\ and you get a connection, run the SP1 installation again.

Level 3
Thanks a lot. It works fine now !!
I added the UNC-Path of the SQL-Server to the Path variable.