cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems restoring Exchange mailbox from Backup Exec 10d

BENewbie
Level 2
Hello.  I need some help figuring out how to restore an Exchange 2003 mailbox.

I'm running a Windows 2003 SBS server with Backup Exec 10d.  It appears that the Exchange mailboxes are being backed up successfully, at least according to the job history logs, and this has been running successfully for a few months.

However, I hadn't yet tried a restore of a mailbox.  So as a test, I removed one of the Exchange mailboxes for a test account.  I did so by going into Server Management in SBS, selecting the mailbox, then used the Exchange Tasks wizard to delete the mailbox.

I then created a one-time restore job to restore that particular mailbox.  However, when I run the job, I encounter the following error:

e0008488 - Access is denied

The Resource Credentials in BE are setup to use the server administrator account, which has full privileges.

Is there something that I need to do in Exchange 2003 in order to restore this mailbox?
Is there something that I need to do with the administrator account so that it can perform the restore?

Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if you need more details.

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
IIRC, the mailbox must exist in Exchange before you can restore it

Create  a new, empty, mailbox with the same name, and try restoring again

BENewbie
Level 2
Thanks, Ken, and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I re-created the mailbox as you suggested.  I also manually dismounted the mailbox store in Exchange.

I then proceeded to create a new restore job, using the server's administrator account (which I've been using for months to perform backups with no problems).  To ensure that the account had access to the resources needed for the restore job,  I went to the Resource Credentials screen and clicked the "Test All" button, and the tests ran successfully.

Since I re-created the mailbox, I turned off the "Automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes" option.  I also turned off the "Dismount database before restore" option, since I had already manually dismounted the mailbox store in Exchange System Manager.

When running the restore job to restore the mailbox, I now get this error:

e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected
resources exist and are online, and then try again.

I've read the numerous posts on this issue as well as the numerous TechNotes, but it doesn't appear that I'm not doing anything that's already been suggested.  Any help from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated!  Please let me know if more details are required.

FYI, my environment is very simple:

• Single server running Windows 2003 SBS
  • Backup Exec 10d
  • Exchange Server 2003

BTW, I am able to successfully restore data files from my backups.  It's just the Exchange mailboxes that are giving me problems.

Please help!!!!