cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems restoring data using Backup Exec 11d and AIX 4.3

nova24
Level 2
I'm running Backup Exec 11d on a Windows servers and using a remote agent to handle the backup and restores to/from my AIX 4.3 server. The backups work great, but I now need to restore and I can't get the BE server to restore directly to the AIX server. I endup having to resore to my Windows server then move the data over to the AIX server. This is OK for small amounts of data, but since the spaces in the filenames are modified to a +- character and need to be renamed once put on the AIX server this process will not work for large amounts of data.

I've reinstalled and reconfigured the agent on the AIX server with the same results. The new installation was done using the be_agnt.tar file from "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\Legacy Unix Agent" directory. The installation ran perfectly. Here is the error message I get when I try to do a restore:
--------------------------------
Job ended: Monday, September 28, 2009 at 9:36:53 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33967
-------------------------------------------

I've followed the link and nothing there seams to be the problem. Including the default port of 10000 needing to be changed. I figure if I can backup without issue then the port and login information should all be fine.

Also, when I reconfigured the BE Agent on the AIX server, I did make sure to allow restores to the shares.

Here is the contents of the agent.cfg file for the BE Reomte Agent on the AIX:
---------------------------
name MICKEY
password xxxxxxxx
force_address xxx.xx.x.40
export /r as r password xxxxxxxx
export /s as s password xxxxxxxx
export /local as local password xxxxxxxx
tell n1-nas745
tell_interval 600
exclude_dir /dev
-----------------------------------

I've attached the agent.cfg file for reference.

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nova24
Level 2
I removed the requirment for passwords in the agent.cfg file. Not the best solution, but in my environment I don't really need the password anyways (I'm the only IT person).

Thank you Ken for your suggestion.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What build of v11d are you running?  what SP?

What version of AIX?

nova24
Level 2
Build 6235, SP3

AIX 4.3.3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Since I don't run AIX, I have no idea if this will solve your problems, but you can upgrade to build 7170 for free

Grab the source from here
https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=30140

Then from the downloads page  at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047

filter for v11d and
Service (grab the latest service pack and any subsequent Hot Fixes that apply to your site [you can filter for AIX for OS specific patches] )
Drivers

nova24
Level 2
Installed build 7170 and SP4 and still no luck. I noticed that the UNIX agent is the same version as the previous build. Looks like Symantec stopped supporting UNIX after BE version 9. I've only found legacy agents to use with v10 and v11.

I've tripple check all my permissions and all looks good. I've even gone so far as to open the permissions to full access for everyone.

Thanks for the suggestion Ken. At least now I'm running the latest buid. :)

nova24
Level 2
I removed the requirment for passwords in the agent.cfg file. Not the best solution, but in my environment I don't really need the password anyways (I'm the only IT person).

Thank you Ken for your suggestion.