cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems restoring or duplicating backups created with 12.5

bret_miller
Level 4

We have some old (from 2010) backups created with Backup Exec 12.5 that I want to duplicate to newer tape format, plus I need to restore a handful of files from them. We're currently running Backup Exec 2014, fully patched. Unfortunately it's not working.

If I try to duplicate the backup sets from tape to disk, the Backup Exec Job Engine service crashes:

Faulting application name: bengine.exe, version: 14.1.1786.1103, time stamp: 0x54d50683
Faulting module name: bengine.exe, version: 14.1.1786.1103, time stamp: 0x54d50683
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000005ac4c2
Faulting process id: 0xe58
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0c9534b90914b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
Report Id: 0aac456d-354a-11e5-9fab-90b11c00b15c

If I try to restore files, it restores 0 files even though I've selected some to restore. It can read the catalog OK, but the backup is completely useless. I'm trying to duplicate & restore files and directories backed up from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008R2. The irony of this is that I can duplicate and restore a SQL Server backup set on this same tape without issues. It's roundabout since I need to duplicate it to disk then use an old version of Backup Exec to restore to an old version of SQL Server, but it works. So why don't the files restore?

Will upgrading to Backup Exec 2015 make anything better? Was thinking about doing that anyway...

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you can try doing that, but no guarantee it will work.

Is BE 2014 fully patched?

THanks!

bret_miller
Level 4

Yes, according to Live Update, there are no updates to apply.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try restoring the files without permissions and make sure they are not being restored to the root directory.

bret_miller
Level 4

Yeah... that was actually what I tried. Created a directory called "TestRestore" on the BackupExec server itself and attempted restore without permissions. Guess I should have said that before.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try disabling a registry key and see if it helps.

Browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Tape Format\Use Fast File Restore and set the value to 0.

Restart the BE services and try a restore again. Change the value of the key from 0 to 1 once the restore completes.