cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using Exchange Agent - Access Denied

Han_Teunis
Level 3
Hello all,

Prolly many many people asked this before, since searching for it gave many results, however not one with the solution I was looking for.

The problem I have, is with several customers running Veritas Backup Exec. Both versions 9.1 en 10.0.
Normal versie with Exchange Agent and the SBS version with Exchange agent included.

I have access to the Exchange environment with Veritas and can select individual mailboxen and public folders, so security seems to be fine. Also I can partly backup Exchange. The problem is with some of the mailboxes.
Veritas gives a Access Denied error to some specific items some mailboxen. Often in the send item folder and the deleted item folder. Because of these Access Denied errors, the job status is also failed.

One solution is to delete these emails, but that is not a option for all customers, at least not all emails.
Because this problems is at several customers all running different environments, this seems to be a Exchange Agent problem.

Veritas 9.1 + Exchange agent on Windows 2000 Standaard with Exchange 2000
Veritas 9.1 SBS on Windows 2003SBS
Veritas 10 SBS on Windows 2003SBS
Veritas 9.1 + Exchange agent op Windows 2003 Standard are the most used combinations at customers all having this problem.

Thanks in advance for any support.
8 REPLIES 8

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

In order to isolate the issue, please install the following hotfix 16 and verify the results. Please download the hotfix from the following techote:

- 10.0 5484 Hotfix 16 - Exchange Mailbox Backups (Backing up Microsoft Exchange mailboxes may cause the backup job to hang) *Requires Backup Exec 10.0.5484 Service Pack 1
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275899.htm

Also refer to the following technote:

- Troubleshooting basic "access denied" and "access is denied" messages in Backup Exec 9.x
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266075.htm

We would need to know the exact error you are facing. Please paste the exact error in the post.

We hope this will help.

Please update us on the issue so that If the issue still persists we can troubleshoot the issue further.

If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be presumed to be answered and will be marked as assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Han_Teunis
Level 3
Thanks for the fast reply,

This is a small part of the errors from a the 2003SBS server with Veritas 10.0 SBS

Backup- \\2003SBS\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file Frank Top of Information StoreVerwijderde itemsnieuwe tekening Wilhelminastraat 7+5 te Tubbergen.
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file Frank Top of Information StoreVerwijderde itemsnieuwe tekeningen Wilhelminastraat 7 + 5 te Tubbergen.

But the error on the other combinations are the same. Last night I exluded the two mailboxes at this customer who make the backup fail and how wonderfull the backup had status completed this morning. However, of course I want to backup these two mailboxes as well.
And how to solve this problem at the 9.1 version customers?

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

It may be the case that the messages might be corrupt and hence the backup is failing.

You refer the following technote,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255047.htm

Hope this helps.

Han_Teunis
Level 3
Hotfix is installed and backup failed again last night.

Also applied Service Pack 2 at some customers with version 9.1

It's possible that the mail is corrupt, but since we got the same problem at several customers, I think there might be other problems as well.

Any clue??

29 april 2005:
Check some more customers running Veritas Backup Exec. Some of them also have this same problem. All running Veritas 9.1 (build 4691.1) or Veritas 10.0
Updated some of the customers to SP2 for 9.1 and SP1 for 10.0, however without result.

Strange thing is, why do only several mailboxes have the access denied error? If I deselect those recipients in the selection for a day, the backup is completed succesfully.
This is now concerning 8 customers, it's more then corrupt mail. Customers are getting concerned since their backup program gives a status failed.Message was edited by:
Han Teunis

Han_Teunis
Level 3
It seems like this thread is bleeding to death.

Same problems still exist at all customers, and one problem evolved into a bigger problem.

The customer with Veritas Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers where I applied SP1 en the Hotfix regarding Exchange Mailbox problem is now giving me exact that problem instead of solving it.

The Backup is stuck at Exchange Mailboxes and backup keeps running even ignoring Automatic Cancellation time.
So for this customer I had to unselect Exchange backup.
A temporary solution, wich hopefully can be fixed asap.

Anyone any advice?

Han_Teunis
Level 3
Problem is now solved.

There is a way so that Veritas still gives a status completed even if some emails were skipped.
Those emails aren't the issue for me, only the status making the customers nervous.

check: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261457.htm

Kevin_Geiger
Not applicable
I looked for the registry value, it was not there. I am having the same problem on nearly ALL my customers' servers. Do you just create the registry entry? The one in particular I am looking at is 10.0 small business server.

Han_Teunis
Level 3
Hi Kevin,

I got another thread running with this problem with Veritas 10.0 SBS.

The problem is solved for all Veritas 9.1 versions.
I also created the registry key for Veritas 10.0 (it wasn't there, so just created it).

The thread I currently have is:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=103&threadID=50181

Good luck!