cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Problems with BE2012 jobs not running & BEngine crashing

Dannyboy75
Level 2

Hi,

I'm using BE2012 (fully patched) on Server 2008 R2. It is configured to perform a backup of our Exchange server each night (files and mail store) using the remote agent. Recently though, I'm having more and more problems getting this job to run reliably.

What's started happening frequently is that the job starts at its scheduled time, the job status changes to 'Active', but no progress bar or time counter appears. It literally just says 'active' and nothing else. If I leave it like this it'll happily sit there for ever and a day.

Trying to cancel the job does nothing, so I usually try and restart all the BE services - but then the BEngine service won't stop (gets stuck on 'stopping'). So then I have to kill it in task manager, after which all the services restart successfully.

At this point I start the Exchange backup job again, and everything look OK for a minute or so, but then BEngine crashes. Whether or not I start the BEngine service again makes no difference - after a few minutes the job status changes to 'Stalled' and remains like this.

On a good night, after repeating this merry dance several times, the BEngine service finally manages not to crash and the backup job runs through successfully. But sometimes the only solution is to reboot the media server. After a reboot, the backups then work perfectly for several days, but then the same problems gradually start to manifest again.

Whilst rebooting the media server every night would probably help, this isn't practical for us and isn't really a solution anyway.

Please can anyone help advise why BE2012 is having these problems? Most evenings, I'm having to spend around an hour of my own time trying to get this software to work properly, which is incredibly frustrating and not what we expected when we paid to upgrade to 2012.

thanks

Danny

0 REPLIES 0