cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedure for SharePoint 2007 Farm Disaster Recovery using Backup Exec 2010 R2

HenryG911
Not applicable

I have been trying on my own for days ... browsing the net, reading Symantec's manual ... and still cannot figure it out.  If I have spent 40 hours on this it would be an understatement.

So, this is the scenario:

You have a small SharePoint 2007 (Enterprise) Server Farm, single server, running Win 2008 Standard 64-Bit, on SQL 2005 Standard 64-Bit.

Server 1: MOSS-01 (Active SharePoint server)

Server 2: MOSS-02 (Stand-by server joined to SP farm, with web server role only)

What is the procedure to recover your farm if your one server crashes and you must recover your SharePoint Farm onto a completely different server?  I have a 'stand-by' server which I have added to the farm (for testing) only with the Web Server role, so I would like to use this server for my recovery.  I have the same OS installed with corresponding service packs.

What I have done so far:

• I have a successful backup of the SharePoint farm
  • I have a copy of the SQL system database files (.bak), master, msdb, model
  • Since I have to install SQL server on the "Recovery" server ... i successfully installed and ran a restore of the 'master', 'msdb', and 'model' databases onto MOSS-02 from my MOSS-01 database backups
  • I am now attempting to start the SharePoint restore and redirect it to MOSS02 following the instructions on Page 1232 (Table I-6) from the Backup Exec 2010 R2 manual, which states:
  • Select the backup sets for all

SharePoint resources in the farm except for the following:

Configuration V3-DB database resource; Global Settings resource; Single Sign-on database resource (if applicable);

options: Select Bring restored databases online. Select Reconnect previous database links. Select Replace existing database.

• When i try to hit Submit to start the job, i get the following "You have selected to redirect SharePoint resources that were backed up from more than one site. You must limit the selections for redirected restore to SharePoint resources that were all backed up from the same site, or you must restore the resources to their original locations.

That's now where I'm stuck ... I have attempted to de-select some items, but keep getting the same error message.

I just have 3 different Site Collections and 3 Content Databases.

http://intranet, http://intranet/sitea, http://intranet/siteB

Come on really???  It must be this hard???

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Or heck, if you have a recommendation for a better product for my SharePoint disaster recovery plan, let me know!  We have technology available at our disposal for a reason ... I dont think i have an uncommon scenario ... this is one of those things that Symantec could do a live-recording on ... "This is how to recover your SharePoint Farm onto a new server" ... and call it a day.

I really hope someone can offer some helpful guidance.

3 REPLIES 3

Darren_Goobey
Level 3

I am having a similar problem but with a multi-server farm for MOSS 2007. I have been following the Disaster recovery procedure http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290873.htm. When I select all of the backup sets except for the following Configuration V3-DB database resource, Global Settings resource, Single Sign-on database resource (if applicable) I receive the following error message: Unable to lock the Microsoft SharePoint Portal Farm. You must unlock the farm topology, and then retry the job.

I feel your frustration!

joyce
Not applicable

i'm using veritas 12.5sp4 and trying to IDR moss2007, i encountered the following message

Unable to lock the Microsoft SharePoint Portal Farm. You must unlock the farm topology, and then retry the job. Any solution?

Jaxom
Level 3
Partner Accredited

To HenryG911

this statement holds true "you must restore the resources to their original locations" unfortunately BE can't restore from a farm to another different farm. You build from ground up like a disaster recovery scenario. if you want to redirect content DB to another farm, i've seen technotes that shows redirect content restore only in a specific way (sry i can't recall which technote). I'm sure you'll lose local security info with that kind of redirection and there's a certain limit on what you can redirect.

To Darren Goobey

When you select all the backup sets except the mentioned config/global settings/single sign-on db... do not select the Search components - Index and Search-DB. You will get that error saying your farm topology is locked. just restore your content db and application. follow that up with index, then Search-DB (always check on replace existing database option). then finally end it with restore of the config3V-DB.

To Joyce

See my reply to Darren. if you have done that and still getting the error, i suggest you check your BESA account that i guess also has sysadmin rights to your SQL server? Just remember that whatever you have on your original server should be replicated to the 'recovery' server.

The various technotes that explains this topology lock farm doesn't help right?