cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program Files\Exchsrvr Backups

BackupHound
Level 3

Hi all,

I have BE 2012R2 (on win2k3), and the Exchange Agent installed on my Exch2003 server. Both VMware virtual.

Backups of the Info Store are fine, and I can restore from these ok in a test environment.

I get these errors in the Exception list Program Files\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000005.dat in use - skipped.

My question is this, should I be backing up the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\ folder???

Ive seen several posts on these forums suggesting that it can be skipped if you have the Exchange agent, however its always by people with zero posts / no accountability. So could I get a forum guru to confirm this, or better yet a Symantec employee.

I suppose I could just phone up Symantec.. but you know how that is...

All comments welcome,

thanks & rgds

BH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As you have the Exchange agent installed (Agent for Databases option) you will not be required to backup anything from the Exchange server but just the Infromation Store (for Exchange Application protection).

If you want to protect the complete server then backup the C: drive and System State of the server.

My question is this, should I be backing up the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\ folder???

--> No.  Not required if you have a good backup of Information Store.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As you have the Exchange agent installed (Agent for Databases option) you will not be required to backup anything from the Exchange server but just the Infromation Store (for Exchange Application protection).

If you want to protect the complete server then backup the C: drive and System State of the server.

--> No.  Not required if you have a good backup of Information Store.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Adding to it, Below TNs will help you identify what to backup, to be able to recover exchange server from a disaster..

How to prepare for disaster recovery of Exchange Server: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73805

Recovering from a disaster for Exchange:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73806

BackupHound
Level 3

Thanks very much for the swift and certified answers, very much appriciated.

Consider this resolved.

I am suprised that I cant find a link on the Symantec web site that speficies this directly, or perhaps I need to read the user guides fully.  ; )