cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper way to backup the Backup server itself?

JSmooth
Level 2
What is the right way to backup the backup server itself?

Should it be done just like any other server?
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If it is a dedicated backup server, all you really need is the \Data and \Catalog directories and the BEDB.BAK file

If there are other apps on the media server, treat it like any other

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 05-11-200708:37 AM

Bullzeyes23
Level 3
Dear Ken, i have follow your advice to backup \Data and \Catalog directory and the file BEDB.BAK for safe keeping. So i f the backup server have hard ware failure (hard disk) , does all i need is to resotre those directory and file to the installed directory of symantec backup exec 12.5? Does all those directory consisted of all my backup job that i created? Thanks in advance.

regard,
Ong

MitchR
Level 6
I'd also strongly recommend backing up the following file as well:

C:\Windows\BESERNUM.XML

This file holds all of your license keys for that server.  If you're at the point where you're restoring data for your backup server, you'll probably want that as well.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does all those directory consisted of all my backup job that i created? Thanks in advance.

The BEDB.BAK file contains all your jobs and schedules as well as info about all your inventoried volumes.  The \Catalogs dir contains info about the data that has been backed up and what media it is on

And as Mitch says BESERNUM.XML would be very nice to have also

whiteknight8
Level 4
BEDB.bak just copy and paste into the backup exec folder ?

or should we save to a different location first?

and Fire up BEUTIL

Select "Recover configuration from a file" and point it at the saved file?

can i check for migrating to a different server which backup exec version to which backup exec version can be used this way?

example 10D to 12?
12 to 12.5?

just asking so that it will be easier to migrate to a new backup media server for future.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The BEDB.BAK file that you want to recover the database from can be anywhere that the media server can see it

as far as version to version, see

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280710.htm

specifically says Note: Do not use this procedure to upgrade from one version to another

so I would say the new version must be the same as the old version.  Different versions may  work, but if they don't, you won't get any support from Symantec

whiteknight8
Level 4
can i check for symantec backup exec 12 where is the license key located, unable to find in the C:\Windows as in other version.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
can i check for symantec backup exec 12 where is the license key located, unable to find in the C:\Windows as in other version.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319447.htm

whiteknight8
Level 4
ok thanks i have found it, i have backup all the license for all my backup exec server.