cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Providing self help recovery portal for user to file level recovery

Symanticus
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to simplify the restore process in my Linux file server for the Windows desktop user, How can I provide some sort of website to restore file from the Backup Exec 2010 so the user doesn't have to bother the backup operator to restore single file from Linux server ?

I've heard a product named Backup Exec Retrieve is that what I should look for ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, it uses the same technology as BE Retrieve...not necessarily BE Retrieve itself. So how BE Retrieve did things, BE's Archiving tecnology does the same thing.

You can install the BE Remote COnsole on a user's PC no hassles.

For further information, read the article below on how I leverage it with our site reps:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

Laters!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi Albert,

BE Retrieve won't work with BE 2010. As far as I know, it was an old legacy application that worked with older versions.

BE 2010 and BE 2010 R2 can archive data, using BE Retrieve technology. This would be the only way for your users to get data back themselves without troubling the administrators.

That said, it means you need to license your media server for archiving, if this is the route you wanted to go.

You CAN make some super users BE operators, but that is entirely up to you. Note that with this, you don't have the ability to restrict the rights these operators would have to BE...they can do everything a normal admin can do in BE. This would mean though, that the archiving option wouldn't be needed, and BE's Remote Console is a free addition.

Laters!

Symanticus
Level 6

Craig, many thanks for the very quick response :)

"archive data, using BE Retrieve technology" --> since it is not supported in the new R2, so in this case I'll implement your suggestion of "BE Remote Console", does this means the super user must install BE 2010 R2 console only on his PC ?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Backup Exec retrieve is a component of Backup Exec System Recovery Manager. Will be installed at the same time you install BESRM server. Backup Exec Retrieve communicates with the Indexing Server component on client computers to let users recover their own files from the Backup Exec Retrieve Web page.

Refer this article for more details..

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO13750

/* EDIT

@Craigv

Sorry,I am late here...

CraigV

Well, it uses the same technology as BE Retrieve...not necessarily BE Retrieve itself. So how BE Retrieve did things, BE's Archiving tecnology does the same thing.

You can install the BE Remote COnsole on a user's PC no hassles.

For further information, read the article below on how I leverage it with our site reps:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

Laters!

Symanticus
Level 6

Many thanks for your response here Craig and Kiran, I appreciate your efforts to reply this message even during the weekend or holiday :)

Cheers,

Albert