cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q: Is it possible to create incremental backup from the HyperV?

reneHartman
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Is it possible to create incremental backup from the HyperV Machine with the licensed HyperV-suite Option?

Or can i make only Full Backup with GRT?

Symantec Backup Exec. 2010 R2 - highest Patchlevel

THX

Rene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you realy require incremental backups, you will have to run the normal agent backup (not an Hyper-V backup). This requires the installation of the BE Agent in the VM's.

The Hyper-V agent includes the right to install the BE Agent on all your VM's on the licensed Hyper-V host. (one BE Hyper-V agent is required for each Hyper-V host).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

NO, see the FAQ of the Hyper-V Agent:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/b-backup_exec_2010_r2_agent_for_ms_hype...

4. Can I perform an Incremental or Differential backup of Microsoft Hyper-V data?

Answer-

No, Microsoft’s Hyper-V VSS snapshot writer does not currently provide any means to perform

incremental or differential backups of online virtual machines. Currently, incremental or differential

backups of virtual machines can only be performed using traditional file-level backup methods of

using a Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems or Remote Agent for Linux/Unix

Servers inside of the virtual machine.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you realy require incremental backups, you will have to run the normal agent backup (not an Hyper-V backup). This requires the installation of the BE Agent in the VM's.

The Hyper-V agent includes the right to install the BE Agent on all your VM's on the licensed Hyper-V host. (one BE Hyper-V agent is required for each Hyper-V host).

reneHartman
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for youre Answere,

Now i do make a Weekly Full HyperV BAckup and over the Guest Agents a weekly Full and incm. days Backups.

But so i have 2 full Backups on the Backupstoragesystem. This use many  Space, an a lot of Runtime.

THX

Great support, and very fast...

Rene