Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q and A

Mr_R
Level 4
Partner

Dear community,

I have a few quetion about Back up Exec 2010, Is there anyone could help me, please?
My Quetion is?

1. Can I upgrade from Veritas 10d to Backup Exec 2010? anyway what's the deferent betwen Veritas and Backup Exec?
  2. How to backup virtual with Backup Exec 2010?
  3. Is it P2V and V2P convertion is a separated product on Back up Exec 2010 or it's include on it?
  4. How to install agent on Backup Exec 2010?

Thanks you.

Teguh Raharjo
Bhinneka.Com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Here are the answers to your queries:

1. Can I upgrade from Veritas 10d to Backup Exec 2010? anyway what's the deferent betwen Veritas and Backup Exec?

Yes. You can upgrade from Veritas 10d to Backup Exec 2010 but it will not be a direct upgrade. It will be a two step upgrade. First you will have to upgrade to Backup Exec 11d / 12d / 12.5 and then upgrade to BE 2010. If you have less number of jobs then we recommend you to uninstall BE 10d and then perform a clean fresh installation of BE 2010. Then recreate all the jobs.

Refer to the following link for the upgrade,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159557 : How to: Direct upgrade path from Backup Exec 11d/12.0/12.5/2010/2010 R2 for Windows Servers to Backup Exec 2010 R3

Veritas was a different company which has been taken over by Symantec and now the new improved versions of Backup Exec are released under the Symantec banner.

2) How to backup virtual with Backup Exec 2010?

• To backup Virtual environment refer to the following link
  •  

• http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21769 : Best practices for Backup Exec 2010 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure
  •  

• 3) Is it P2V and V2P convertion is a separated product on Back up Exec 2010 or it's include on it?
    Backup Exec can not perform the P2V and V2P conversion. For this there is another product called as Symantec System Recovery 2011 (formerly known as Backup Exec System Recovery)
  •  

•  
  • 4) How to install agent on Backup Exec 2010?

Refer to the following technote to install remote agent on the remote server

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH138271 : How to push install the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers in Backup Exec 2010

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
    Level 6

What is the question,.....??

Mr_R
    Level 4
    Partner

Hello comunity,

Does anyone know how to install symantec management console?

Thanks.

Sush---
    Level 6

Here are the answers to your queries:

Yes. You can upgrade from Veritas 10d to Backup Exec 2010 but it will not be a direct upgrade. It will be a two step upgrade. First you will have to upgrade to Backup Exec 11d / 12d / 12.5 and then upgrade to BE 2010. If you have less number of jobs then we recommend you to uninstall BE 10d and then perform a clean fresh installation of BE 2010. Then recreate all the jobs.

Refer to the following link for the upgrade,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159557 : How to: Direct upgrade path from Backup Exec 11d/12.0/12.5/2010/2010 R2 for Windows Servers to Backup Exec 2010 R3

Veritas was a different company which has been taken over by Symantec and now the new improved versions of Backup Exec are released under the Symantec banner.

2) How to backup virtual with Backup Exec 2010?

• To backup Virtual environment refer to the following link
  •  

• http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21769 : Best practices for Backup Exec 2010 Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure
  •  

• 3) Is it P2V and V2P convertion is a separated product on Back up Exec 2010 or it's include on it?
    Backup Exec can not perform the P2V and V2P conversion. For this there is another product called as Symantec System Recovery 2011 (formerly known as Backup Exec System Recovery)
  •  

•  
  • 4) How to install agent on Backup Exec 2010?

Refer to the following technote to install remote agent on the remote server

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH138271 : How to push install the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers in Backup Exec 2010

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
       VIP    Certified

How to backup virtual with Backup Exec 2010?

To backup VM's, you would need to buy a AVVI or AMHV agent licence, depending on whether you are using VMware or Hyper-V, for each physical host.

Is it P2V and V2P convertion is a separated product on Back up Exec 2010 or it's include on it?

BE 2010 is not capable of doing either P2V or V2P conversion.  However, it has been announced that the P2V feature will be included in the next major release of BE.

How to install agent on Backup Exec 2010?

You can either push the remote agent out from the media server or manually install it on the remote server.

Does anyone know how to install symantec management console?

You got to post this question in the appropriate forum, try the Endpoint Management Community.

Mr_R
    Level 4
    Partner

Thanks sush and pkh, for the answer, its very helping me.

regard.

Mr_R
    Level 4
    Partner

Hello again,

Dear Sush and Pkh, we have a scenario about installation a Back up exec 2010.

The scenario is:

• 4 unit file server
    • 2 unit Domino server (Lotus notes dominos)
    • 2 unit of Aplication server (SQL)

Whats should i do for the best instalation and configuration with those scenario? wich is one or two of the server above is using a virtualitation. How much of BE 2010 I should use? how much of the estimate of the licence if i use both phisical and virtual, and the agent i should implement to? i'm planing of use 1 BE 2010 and the other is just an agent, Thank you

Regard