cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quarterly Backups

scoutt
Level 4

I would like to add Quarterly backups to my schedule. I currently have a lot of jobs. some jobs would not be quarterly and would just run on its normal day. So looking at the calendar I see I can exclude the date on things from running, but that doesn't allow the jobs I want to run to be able to run. So what is the best way to setup some jobs to run for a quarter backup and still keep oher jobs to run on the same day? So far I can tell it is all or nothing. Did I miss something?

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Set the job up on a montly schedule with a 3 months interval.

In case, this job overlaps other jobs.  The job which has the less frequent schedule, probably this one, will be executed instead of the other job.

scoutt
Level 4

Thanks pkh, do the jobs have to have the same name? or does it look at what it backs up? So I can name my quarter job QTR-Jobname instead of the one that normally runs?

scoutt
Level 4

I also found something out. If I want to run a quarterly job, and take Sept. for example. I can say run on last saturday of ever 3 months, and run on last sunday of every 3 months. but if the month is last Aug. 2012 and the last day is a saturday, there is no last sunday, it will go to the next months sunday?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It will run on the previous Sunday, the 26th.

scoutt
Level 4

Hi pkh,

I want to say, what you said in your first post is wrong

The job which has the less frequent schedule, probably this one, will be executed instead of the other job.

I created the Quarterly job and made it the same time and selected the same data. Only thing that was different is the recurrence time. The quarterly job ran, but also the original full backup job ran. And seeing how I didn't have the correct Media set in the library, the full job failed. So they both got executed.

and as for your last post, that dosn't do me any good if the quarterly job runs a month later than the original jobs ran. We should have a selection of specific date in that list, not last or first

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I can say run on last saturday of ever 3 months

This is from your previous question.  This is not correct. You cannot specify the quarterly job to run on the last Sat. of every 3 months.  Take a look at my previous screenshot.  You can only specify the day of the month to run when you use a monthly schedule, so the last Sunday and so on, does not apply.

scoutt
Level 4

these are quarterly, not monthly. so it has to be every 3 months. I can live with the failing jobs, just wish there was a way to disable those jobs on that specific day. no biggie I guess.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For quarterly jobs, you still use the monthly schedule, but you specify an interval of 3 months between jobs.

The superceding of jobs should work if the start times of the jobs are exactly the same.  If the start times are the same and your less frequent jobs are not superceded, then you should open a support case with Symantec.

scoutt
Level 4

But it has to be at the last weekend of the month so day 30 isin't always a friday or saturday. Using the second option on your screenshot I should be able to do last friday of every 3 months, with the exact same start time. Should be no different than using the option you show which is day 30 of every 3 months, which doesn't make sense as day 30 could be a weekday and on weekdays it will be a incremental, so a full shouldn't run anyway.

I used the month schedule, but I did last friday of every 3 months, both jobs still ran, full and quarterly. Guess I will open a ticket. Thanks pkh