cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on domain server backups

KingMus
Level 2

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this? I have six servers in the same domain. I have installed Symantec backup Exec 2010 to run backup jobs.

I realized that 2 of the servers are running Windows server 2008 standard edition while the remaining 4 are running the Enterprise edition of  windows server 2008 R2.

With this differences in the OS, but in the same domain, can the backup jobs run sucessfully without errors. So far the jobs have failed.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I moved this to a new forum query.

BE won't care that 2 servers run Standard Edition and the other 4 run Enterprise Edition. To BE there is no fundamental difference, and they share a lot of similarities anyway.

As for whether or not your backups will run successfully, it depends on a number of things. It is this that makes it different to give you a 100% confident answer.

Some things to consider though: Using Advanced Open File Option for file backups (this would backup open files with a lock); using agents to backup applications instead of hacking the media server's registry to edit Active File Exclusion (like Exchange, SQL etc); what you're backing up; whether or not you have a firewall in place and whether or not the necessary ports are open to allow communication between the media server & remote server; making sure your antivirus doesn't cause issues etc.

You need to create the backup and run it to see what you need to iron out to get it to run successfully.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Before you implement some machine, check that its OS and applications are supported by your current version of BE.  You do this by checking the SCL for your current version of BE.  Use this discussion to get the SCL.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/adminguides-scls-hcls-backup-exec-all-versions

Likewise, before you introduce a new hardware for BE to use, check the HCL for your version of BE.  Use the same link above to get the HCL.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello KingMus,

Please post the error from the Job log which will give the idea to troubleshoot why the backups are failing.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

There is no mention of any error in the job. The OP wants to know if there will be a compatibility issue in his job if he backs up Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. In which case the answer is no...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Craig,

I think you need to read this line carefully before marking any post down. This line is written by OP itself.

With this differences in the OS, but in the same domain, can the backup jobs run sucessfully without errors. So far the jobs have failed.

Check the words in BOLD.

Thanks,

-Sush...