Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about SDR recovery

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi,

Refer to below article,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179349

After using Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR) to recover the Windows server, SDR automatically replaces the damaged master and model databases with copies of the master and model databases.

==============

But SQL and data using different job to backup, will it still recover automatically ?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you select the entire C: drive the system databases are backed up. Otherwise you would not be able to start up SQL Server

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

SDR simplifies the SQL recovery as well since it replaces the master & model DBs. Once the SDR recovery is complete, all you have to do is to start the SQL service (which requires the master DB to be present) and run a regular restore from the latest backup set (which contains updated master DB + your user DBs) using the SQL agent.

William_Lawance
Level 6

Is MS SQL available to restore if it is included in SDR backup ?

VJware
Level 6

SDR restore will restore the copies of the SQL master and model DBs so that the SQL service can start. However, you would still need to run another restore using the SQL agent to restore your SQL DBs.

William_Lawance
Level 6

If I used files base for backup our SQL DBs, will those files possible to restore ?

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

See my reply in your other post.

Secondly, if you backed up just the files, yes the files will be restored as it is. But as this is only a file restore, you may need to reconfigure your SQL post the restore.

William_Lawance
Level 6

"But as this is only a file restore, you may need to reconfigure your SQL post the restore."

- Restore from full backup not restore all the configuration ?

- Otherwise, Am I need to restore "master" "model" DB in SQL restore ? Since those files should be restored in SDR reocvery.

Thanks