cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about SQL Agent on Backup Exec Server

Julie_Barnes
Level 4
Here's an easy one for you guys...

My boss was recently told (by a reseller) that she did NOT have to have the SQL agent running on our Backup Exec server because she was running the "full blown" version of Backup Exec (not just an agent) and that would back up any databases on that server. However, I believe that we do indeed have to have the SQL agent installed before we are able to back up any SQL databases that will be installed on that server. I am fairly certain it behaves in the same manner as the Active Directory agent, etc. I believe the reseller was either incorrect in stating this or that something was lost in translation somewhere along the way.

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You are correct, and whoever talked to your boss is wrong

The only possible exception is SBS.

If your OS is SBS and you install the SBS flavor of BackupExec, then SQL, Exchange and/or Sharepoint on the Media server should backup without any additional licenses   Instances on remote servers would require additional serials

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You are correct, and whoever talked to your boss is wrong

The only possible exception is SBS.

If your OS is SBS and you install the SBS flavor of BackupExec, then SQL, Exchange and/or Sharepoint on the Media server should backup without any additional licenses   Instances on remote servers would require additional serials

datsou
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I know many situations where the SQL agent isn't used. Instead, an SQL maintenance job is run to back up the database. This sql backup file is then backed up each night by Backup Exec. In this case, the agent isn't required.

Julie_Barnes
Level 4
Thanks, Ken!

And yes, datsou. We are backing up a couple other databases in the manner you mentioned because we need restore points after certain tasks are performed.

Thank you both!