Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about SSR and IDR....

D_Ferry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi guys,

I would like to ask if there are any difference between SSR and IDR. What if we want to have a system recovery solutions that can recover a downed system in just short period of time, is the IDR feature of the BE2012 enough to provide what we need?

8 REPLIES 8

Ashish-Sharma
Level 6
Accredited

D_Ferry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The first link is about the SSRMS. The point I want to know with this is if the IDR option of the BE2012 enough to complete our SSR requirement? Will it be a ble to provide us a reliable system recovery solution? If there are any difference on how the SSR and IDR performs with regards to system recovery?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

IDR is no more in BE 2012.  It is replaced by SDR (Simplified Disaster Recovery) in BE 2012.  SDR is based in part on SSR and will be able to handle the restore of system to dissimiliar hardware better than IDR.

D_Ferry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

So with regards to that, is the SDR be able to perform just like how the SSR do? Is it reasonable not to purchase SSR anymore since SDR can perform just like how SSR do?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check pg 25 onwards for differences between IDR & SDR - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5216

And yes, SDR has improved highly in regards to its predecessor IDR & if you are already using Backup Exec, would be a very good option to use SDR as well

Bikini_Browser
Not applicable

I had Symantec System Recovery installed on my Backup Exec 2010 Media Server.  Shortly after installing the upgrade to BE 2012, I noticed that Symantec System Recovery was missing. 

Does the default installation of BE 2012 uninstall Symantec System Recovery?

Please advise...

Dale Allen

Parag_Kavitke
Level 3
Employee

SSR has ability to take Backups (cold backups as well as hot backups) and restore them.

SDR uses the backups taken by a Backup Exec server to restore the system.

criley
Employee Accredited

Does the default installation of BE 2012 uninstall Symantec System Recovery?

That should not happen.

What exactly do you mean by 'missing'?

Are the program files still there? Is SSR still listed in add/remove programs?