cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about backing up SQL Databases

baskervi1
Level 3

Fortunately, I haven't had to recover a SQL database, but as I'm going over the server today, I thought I better check this out. Our MS SQL databases reside at e:\mssql\data, which we are not backing up anything in this directory. We do have the SQL Server Agent, and these databases are being backed up here. Is this correct? Do I need to be concerned about anything else? Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

As long as you have the SQL agent, it will back up the SQL databases, commit logs etc.

If you haven't selected the folders above then none of the other files are backed up, and by default, BE would skip the SQL flatfiles due to Active File Exclusion.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified
In your selection list, you must choose the databases from under the Microsoft SQL Databases node so that the SQL Agent is used. If you just select the directory, AFE will skip all the .mdf and .ldf files in the directory

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

As long as you have the SQL agent, it will back up the SQL databases, commit logs etc.

If you haven't selected the folders above then none of the other files are backed up, and by default, BE would skip the SQL flatfiles due to Active File Exclusion.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
In your selection list, you must choose the databases from under the Microsoft SQL Databases node so that the SQL Agent is used. If you just select the directory, AFE will skip all the .mdf and .ldf files in the directory

Sym-cr
Level 5

You should also try looking into the Admin Guide for more details under SQL Section (Appendix E; Page # 877).

Link to Admin Guide for Backup Exec 15:

https://symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/DOCUMENTATION/8000/DOC8200...

Thanks!!