cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Duplicate to tape function

Leo_Pillifant
Level 3

What I am trying to do: We run 5 weekly back up jobs to disk (DD670) using policies. They take most the weekend to run. I would like to setup a duplicate to tape job to run at the end of the month to have a monthly tape BU. I would like to run these jobs Monday after all the B2D are done.

What happend: I setup a duplicate tape job in the policy to run at the end of this month. I let the first job run Monday morning. The B2D job size was 3.2TB. Everything was going fine, except for the fact I forgot to turn on tape compression and went through all the tapes. So Tuesday when it was asking for another tape I inserted it and the job continued. At this point the job was at 3.5TB. I thought ok just some more bits and pieces and it will end soon. At 3.7TB I started looking at the job history and found like there were three different backup jobs for everthing.

What I think was happending: The duplicate jobs were scheduled and it said something like Duplicate all backup sets for this template. From this I take it that it is backup up every wekkly backup that is on the DD670 for this job. This would take forever and is not what I wanted it to do.

Question: Am I right about backuping up all the weekly jobs when ijt says duplicate all bakup sets? Is there a way just to get the last job run and not the all the jobs run for the last 5 weeks?

My solution now is to setup new policies for the monthly job, keep it for a week so there is only one set and duplicat that job. Doubles the number of policies and creates scheduling problems with the weekly job.

Any other ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The duplicate option is desined to backup all backed sets in the linked template since the last duplicate

It's kind of there so that you can run Monday to Friday backups and then duplicate all 5 days at the weekend onto tape. It also means if you duplicate for some reason does not run the next time it runs it will try to cover the missed one as well (which can be a problem if the missed set is no longer present.)

If however you only want to duplicate the last set before the duplicate then the way to do it is create two templates for your backup to disk jobs, have the first template cover every date except the one you want to duplicate and the second template cover just the date you want to duplicate and then the duplicate template should only be linked to the second template. This can be done in one policy - just needs at least one more template and to play a bit with the schedule settings in the templates.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The duplicate option is desined to backup all backed sets in the linked template since the last duplicate

It's kind of there so that you can run Monday to Friday backups and then duplicate all 5 days at the weekend onto tape. It also means if you duplicate for some reason does not run the next time it runs it will try to cover the missed one as well (which can be a problem if the missed set is no longer present.)

If however you only want to duplicate the last set before the duplicate then the way to do it is create two templates for your backup to disk jobs, have the first template cover every date except the one you want to duplicate and the second template cover just the date you want to duplicate and then the duplicate template should only be linked to the second template. This can be done in one policy - just needs at least one more template and to play a bit with the schedule settings in the templates.