cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question over resource selections on an Exchange backup in Backup Exec 2010

buck614
Level 4

I am backing up everything on my exchange box. It has a C drve and a D drive including system state.

Exchange is installed here:
D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server

When I set up my Backup Exec selection list I realize that Exchange can be selected twice.

I have this directory selected 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server', and I also have the preset group 'Microsoft Information Store' selected.

Should I have both selected? Aren't they backing up the same thing?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You should be backing up both ...
When you just backup the D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server directory all the files in that directory are skipped as it need to be backed up via exchange agent
So once you have the exchange license install you can select the Infor mation store and then Run the backup
So you are not backing up the infromation Twice

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You should be backing up both ...
When you just backup the D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server directory all the files in that directory are skipped as it need to be backed up via exchange agent
So once you have the exchange license install you can select the Infor mation store and then Run the backup
So you are not backing up the infromation Twice

buck614
Level 4

If they are skipped and backed up by selecting the information store ... why am I selecting D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

you are just backing up folder stucture ..sometimes helps in the restore...you can exclude it from the selection ... but it does not reducing the size of the backup ...

buck614
Level 4

Ok ... thanks!

tech29
Level 6
Hi There,

I guess you already have license for agent for Exchange server and that is why backup Exec allows you to select the information store in the selection list.

@RahulG :  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Tech29

buck614
Level 4
Yes I do. I just wasn't sure if I should also be backing up the actual folder where Exchange was installed too.

I understand now that it is not backing it up twice ... if anything it is backing up folder structure only when I backup this:
D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server