Question regarding Backup Exec Licensing

Jaime_D
Level 2

Hi all,

I need to clarify how many backup exec licenses needed with this configuration:

2 windows server 2012r2 (servers A and B):

1) Server A (windows sever with gui):

-Backup Exec Installed

-Hyper-V with several VM: no exchange, no sql, etc. one of the VM is an Active Directory DC

2) Server B (windows sever with gui):

-Hyper-V with several VM: no exchange, no sql, etc. one of the VM is another Active Directory DC

My backup needs are:

a) Backup of the VM (complete backup; don't need granular restore of sql, exchange, neither Active Directory, only granular restores for files and folders within the VM)

b) Backup of one of the disks of server B (i have a shared folder)

Shoul I buy 1 Backup Exec license and 1 Hyper-V agent? 

or 1 Backup agent + 1 Hyper-V agent + 1 windows agent?

If I want  Active Directory granular restore within one of the VM Domain Controllers I understand that I have to sum one license for application and database as well.

Thanks in advance,

Jaime 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

With BE 15, you can also opt for the Capacity Edition or the V-Ray Edition licensing models.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since both your servers are VM hosts, you need 2 Hyper-V agent licence to backup the VM's on them.  This is in addition to the core BE licence.

If you want GRT restore of your AD server, then you need to get 1 Agent for Application and Database licence. See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

With BE 15, you can also opt for the Capacity Edition or the V-Ray Edition licensing models.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The V-Ray edition is only good if the user requires a lot of Agent for Application and Databases licences.  He does not so it is not suitable for him.

Jaime_D
Level 2

Thank you very much,

I've made some calculations and there are less than 1Tb of front-end data to backup so the Capacity Edition Lite is the most suitable option and the most affordable as well.

Jaime D.