cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Backup Exec default database installed (SQL Server 2014 Express SP2)

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

I have a question about the default SQL Server 2014 Express SP2 that is installed for the BEDB repository. It mentions in the Admin Guide that 10GB is the DB size limit. I'm wondering what kind of configuration would cause the DB to exceed 10GB? Is there some kind of guideline to this?

Also, can this database be used for other non-BE purposes? (I don't think we allow this).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello mk

I think the databases shouldn't be used for non-BE purposes. The setup of any version upgrade will change the database so no one can predict what the setup will do with the other databases.

I for myself had a problem with a job with lets grow the database to 8GB.

But normaly the database with pretty job number will not exced 500 MB. But it grows with the retension time of Job-Log, Alerts, number of servers, devices and media.

But normaly you would faster come to the limit of max RAM and CPU allocation of SQL Express than capacity. If this is the case a slowdown of Backup process is the case when running many jobs at same time. Then you will need the full SQL-Standard as Backup Exec database instance with BEDB Database in it.

Example Express Limit Version 2016: 1GB maximum memory used by the SQL Server Database Engine, The relational database engine is restricted to the lesser of 1 socket or 4 cores

Kind Regard

Lothar

If this was helpful please mark this as solution.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello mk

I think the databases shouldn't be used for non-BE purposes. The setup of any version upgrade will change the database so no one can predict what the setup will do with the other databases.

I for myself had a problem with a job with lets grow the database to 8GB.

But normaly the database with pretty job number will not exced 500 MB. But it grows with the retension time of Job-Log, Alerts, number of servers, devices and media.

But normaly you would faster come to the limit of max RAM and CPU allocation of SQL Express than capacity. If this is the case a slowdown of Backup process is the case when running many jobs at same time. Then you will need the full SQL-Standard as Backup Exec database instance with BEDB Database in it.

Example Express Limit Version 2016: 1GB maximum memory used by the SQL Server Database Engine, The relational database engine is restricted to the lesser of 1 socket or 4 cores

Kind Regard

Lothar

If this was helpful please mark this as solution.