Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions : Backup EXEC 2012

Phu_Nguyen
Level 4

Hi All,

I am pretty new to Backup Exec, can you help me to clarify points below:

1. What is simplified disaster recovery ? how usefull it is in restore process ?
  2. What should i backup for SharePoint 2010 ?
  3. What recommendation on backup for SQL 2008 ?
  4. I am using backup exec 2012 to backup my virtual servers on VMWARE Vphere 5 and i learn that Backup exec 2012 provides conversion to virtual, what is it really mean ? Because when i try this option, i asked me to specify vcenter/esxi, database etc, it seems like backup exec will convert my fullbackup to a VM on VMFS store.

Thanks all very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

During the SDR restore process, you will be given a chance to choose whichever .dr file that you want, so you can choose the .dr file that is created by the latest backup.

To restore from your old backup, see my article.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) SDR will automate your recovery.  You just need to boot-up from the SDR bootable DVD and it will pull the necessary backup sets to recover your server.

2) You should backup the Sharepoint farm.  You would need to have an agent for applications and databases licence per farm to do so.

3) Again, for each server that you have SQL databases on, you would need to have an agent for applications and databases licence per farm to do so.   After you have installed the agent licence, you can choose the instance/database to backup.

4) The P2V and B2V conversion is more for converting physical machines to VM's  If you are already backing up VM's, then you don't need this facility.

Phu_Nguyen
Level 4

Hi PKH,

Thanks for your reply, but could you explain a little bit more about SDR and SDR bootable DVD ?

Thanks,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you recover your server, you have to do a couple of things, like installing a OS and the remote agent, restoring the C: drive and the system state.  SDR does this for you automatically.  To use SDR, you need to create the SDR bootable DVD so that you can boot up from this DVD.  There is more information on SDR in the Admin Guide.  You can also watch the following video on the SDR restore process.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/be2012-simplified-disaster-recovery-backup-exec-server

Marco_Tafur_-_Q
Level 4

Let's think about your file server. You can create a backup set of your files.

What can you restore after that? Just files...not the whole server.

That's where SDR kicks in.

SDR is a feature in BE that let's you not only restore files...you can restore THE WHOLE SERVER.

That is, you must backup the whole server, too (BE will tell you when SDR is enabled...normally when you backup the system drive and all the System State stuff). 

When you have the backup set, you just insert the SDR bootable DVD (which loads Backup Exec SDR environment, DVD which you can download from Symantec's web site) and follow the steps so that you can recover the server with the last good backup set you created.

Marco

Phu_Nguyen
Level 4

Thanks all, but i still have a concern that  will i just be able to only recover my server to the time i create SDR disk ? Or my needed recover server boot from SDR disk, then it link to my latest full backup ?

Also i have another problem that i have some tapes (LT04) which content my last year backup but when insert to tape drive, i see that the tapes have 500Gb but i can not browser data in there, can get file/folders in there ? Do anyone know how to get data from my old disk ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

During the SDR restore process, you will be given a chance to choose whichever .dr file that you want, so you can choose the .dr file that is created by the latest backup.

To restore from your old backup, see my article.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

ScotH
Level 4

Can you tell me at which point in the SDR restore process I can choose the .DR file?  In my testing, I do not see an option to choose a DR file.  I only see the option to choose a "Point in Time" from a dropdown list, and the backup jobs are only as recent as the date of the SDR DVD creation.