cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about ServerFree option

Wouter_Sonnevel
Level 2
Hi,

We have a big SAN which is divided into multiple logical drives, each of which is assigned to a specific server and thus only visible on that server.
I want to use the ServerFree option because some of the drives contain many small files which cause our backup-speed to drop from 900MB/min to around 350MB/min.
Can I use the ServerFree option in combination with the Remote Agent to back up the logical drives not directly available to the Media Server or do I have to install a separate copy of Backup Exec on each server I want to backup?

Thanks in advance,
Wouter Sonneveldt
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Sogeti Nederland B.V.
1 REPLY 1

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers ServerFree Option is installed as a separate, add-on component of Backup Exec for Windows Servers.
The ServerFree Option enables you to increase backup performance by freeing up mediaserver processor resources and moving the backup processing operations to hardware solutions that may be installed in your storage area network environment.

Note: ServerFree backup operations on remote resources outside the SAN are notsupported.
ServerFree backups can only be run on the media server.

NOTE: For information on the Server Free Option supported devices, please visit www.support.veritas.com

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.