cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on OPP and AP

access
Level 4

I have an additional question on the Media Sets..

I found this on the Admin Guide:

The append period starts when the first
backup job is written to this media

For example I have a media set of 4 tapes, as I understand they have the same attributes such as OPP & APP.

Questions:

1. Will the OPP expire at the same time for all tapes of the media set or is it a per tape basis depending on when was the specific tape last written to?

2. Will the APP expire at the same time or is it a per tape basis depending on when was the specific tape first written to ? (The first second data was started to be written to tape)

3. You adviced one job per media set.

Can we have multiple jobs write to the same media set ? For Backup Exec 2012, as I remember we could have multiple jobs write to the same tape or tapes.

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1 & 2 - Both OPP and AP are for individual tapes depending on when they are written to.  You can have the different tapes in one media set with different expiry dates.

3. You can only use one media set per job, but you can have many jobs using the same media set.

Don't get tapes (media) and media sets mixed up.  Media sets are just logical containers for the media (tapes).

You can have many jobs writing to the same tape (appending to it).  The tape would be placed in the media set targeted by the last job that writes to the tape.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1 & 2 - Both OPP and AP are for individual tapes depending on when they are written to.  You can have the different tapes in one media set with different expiry dates.

3. You can only use one media set per job, but you can have many jobs using the same media set.

Don't get tapes (media) and media sets mixed up.  Media sets are just logical containers for the media (tapes).

You can have many jobs writing to the same tape (appending to it).  The tape would be placed in the media set targeted by the last job that writes to the tape.

access
Level 4

Hi. pkh.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The append period start at the moment the first data is written to the tape, did I get this right ?

While OPP start the moment the job is completed.

-------------

For example you have a media set of ten (10) tapes.

What happens if the backup job spans the entire five (5) tapes will the OPP be the same for all five tapes,

while the remaining other five (5) tapes will have a different OPP.

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes to all your questions. Note that OPP starts from the end of the last job that words to to take. If 2 jobs write to a tape, the OPP starts from the end of the second job