cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RALUS - no compression ?

Thomas_sjunness
Level 3

Hello...

I am trying to backup data located in a NETGEAR READYNAS 2100.
I have installed the Backup Exec-addon in the NAS and added the RALUS in my Backup Exec Media Server.

Versions used: Backup Exec 12.5.

I am trying to backup about 575 GB of data, to a LTO3 autoloader.
However, something is messed up. The target device is a partition on the autoloader, consisting of 2 x LTO3 media (400/800).
Compression type set to: "Hardware, if available, otherwise none".

After about 470 GB has been backup up, I receive a message telling me to insert media.

When I check the tapes in the partition, it says, for each tape:
"Used capacity: 389,7GB of 390,9GB
Data: 200 GB"

The value in the Data-field is different each time I run the job, but always about 200 GB.

That is a very big problem for me !

The same mediaserver manages backup jobs for 12 Windows servers, and those jobs works perfectly, many of them spanning multiple tapes with an average compression rate of about 1,2:1.

I have read posts on the forum, and it seems there are others who have the same problem, altough maybe not with the same combination of hardware/software, but I can´t find a solution to the problem.

Please help me :(

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The native (uncompressed) capacity of a LTO3 tape is 400GB so the used capacity numbers are correct.  Your NAS has nothng to do with your problem.  You should check your data.  If you have a lot of compressed data, like zipped files, movies and sound clips, then compressing them may result in a bigger file.  See my article below on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

You might want to turn off compression and see what result.  You may be able to store more onto your tapes if you have a lot of compressed files.