cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAWS upgrade install for Windows Server Core versions is broken

SocratesGS
Level 2

After upgrading from BE 15 to BE 16 we pushed agent updates to our servers. All of the servers running "Core" versions reported successful installs from both the BE server and even running the install locally reported a success. However, the RAWS service wouldn't start & reported missing file errors. There were no files in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS directory. All of the files were placed under C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\RAWS, but the services were never updated to reflect the new file location and wouldn't start because of it. Our work around was to copy all of the files to the directory the services were looking for them.

Hope this helps out anyone else that runs into this issue.

-G. Small
BE admin for Sears Home Improvment Products (& former BE QA Engineer)

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi, Check the link below: https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/116000/000115689/en_US/be_16_scl.html?__gda... While you can't install the full version of BE on the Core version, it does say you can install RAWS...but then doesn't include any reference to Core when browsing the RAWS compatibility section. Thanks!

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here CraigV. I didn't say anything about installing BE on Windows Core, I was specifically saying RAWS agent installs on Windows Core were not working. I read the link and you're right, it doesn't list any core versions of Window Server. Does this mean there is no support for people who run Windows Server Core?

-G. Small

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Article http://www.veritas.com/docs/000108697 seems to imply you can put the agent on core.

It is possible that someting is gong wrong during the agent upgrade and you might have to uninstall the old agent before you can install the new one.

CragV, I created this post in case others ran into this issue. It's the upgrade process that is broken. I gave a work around for people who tried to upgrade and find themselves in the same situation. While uninstalling older RAWS agents and push installing the new RAWS agent will avoid this issue, it won't help people who are already in it because they trusted the upgrade to work as it has in the past versions for Windows Server Core and for all normal versions of Windows Serverwith a GUI.

-G. Small