cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDX drive issue

R_P_Sharma
Level 3
Please find the below specification as we have in our environment. Windows Server 2008 R2 Backup Exec 2012 RDX drive & Cortridges USB KVM Switch I have some concern related backup exec & Storage. Backup is not target to storage untilled we remove the USB KVM switch. Meanwhile after removing KVM Switch from the server backup is working fine & when we attached KVM switch on server backup is not targets to storage and backup goes as queued. Please advise
10 REPLIES 10

R_P_Sharma
Level 3
I have one concern realated Data Overwrite in Backup Exec 2012. Backup Exec 2012 3 Tapes (RDX tape) Overwrite protection policy :- 6 Days As we are getting issue data is not being overwrite after 7 MB remains Space in storage. Please advise.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are you using SP4?

R_P_Sharma
Level 3

BE 2012 SP4 Installed

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

With SP4, DLM manages RDX disks and not media sets. Have a look @ this KB for a better understanding - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH214945

pkh
   VIP    Certified

My article below should be helpful

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Firstly as your KVM switch is on USB and your RDX drive almost certainly is as well, if you already know that detaching the USB disk allows backups to run then there is almost certainly a conflict between the two USB attached hardware items. If you can, try separating the USB KVM on a different USB controller than the RDX drive.

Typically USB controllers have two channels, hence there are usually two USB sockets next to each other on a server, as such try finding a USB socket that is not adjacent to the one the RDX drive is using. Or, if you have a mixture of USB3 and USB2 sockets, plug the RDX drive into USB3 and the KVM into USB 2, which should also results in separate controllers.

For the data overwriting comment as well as pkh's article please see this one

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-set-retention-and-expiry-handling-removable-rdx-etc-media

R_P_Sharma
Level 3

Suppose i have available space 8 MB in RDX tape & when we initiate the manual backup. quickly tape does eject out and backup running as queued.

Kindly advise .

R_P_Sharma
Level 3

Suppose i have available space 8 MB in RDX tape & when we initiate the manual backup. quickly tape does eject out and backup running as queued.

Kindly advise .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

8 MB of free space is hardly anything.  You would need more space than that to do a successful backup.

R_P_Sharma
Level 3

This is my concern , if have 8 mb free space in RDX tape but when we initiate the manual backup and schedule backup promptaly rdx tape should be eject out.

What is reason data is not being overwrite in rdx drive when we initiate the backup .