cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSM cannot manage library Tape0. The database is corrupt

ibrahim_bazarwa
Level 3
RSM cannot manage library Tape0. The database is corrupt.
I tried to disable remote storage manager from services,applied all hotfix belong to ms and symantec,put symanted on live update also.I also tried to delete the tape drive from device management and reinstlled the tape drive.I also checked that the pause option is not enable on the tape.Plz advice me how to rectiy.
Product-Symatec backup exec 12.5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ibrahim_bazarwa
Level 3
the problem has been solved.the above error is gone just by removing the windows logs and the other problem is solved by doing pause and unpause the tape device.u all wondering but its true.amazing !!!!!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Ibrahim,

Try the following:

1. Ensure Removable Storage service is stopped, and disabled.
2. Open up Backup Exec, and delete the device.
3. Open up Device Manager in Windows, and delete the device from there too.
4. Disconnect the tape device/autoloader from the server, and power down the server.
5. Start up the server with the tape drive disconnected.
6. Open up Backup Exec and Device Manager, and verify the device doesn't show in there at all. If not (and it SHOULDN'T), shut down the server again.
7. Reconnect the tape drive/autoloader, and start it up...
8...and the start up the server about a minute afterwards.
9. Open up BE, and run the Device COnfiguration Wizard, and install the drivers for the tape drive.
10. Verify that it's now working.

This is to delete the device completely and redetect it, which is sometimes the only way.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Suggest making sure RSM is disabled (which you appear to have done already)
and then emptying your event logs as per
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300454

ibrahim_bazarwa
Level 3
is it possible that becoz of event log job sits is queue ?The server is on remote site,i will give it a look after half an hour.
Thanks for prompt reply.

ibrahim_bazarwa
Level 3
Craig v
I tried to delete and reinstall the tape device from by reinstalling the tapeinst.exe utility.
Thanks

ibrahim_bazarwa
Level 3
The most amazing thing about the issue is that the schedule job runs nicely but the jobs which i give directly by right clicking the device for example the inventory,erase,eject sits in queue !!!!!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
The RSM error message is cosmetic only (on service restart) and therefore not related to why jobs go queued.

CraigV
Ibrahim: I'd still suggest doing it through Backup Exec itself. Give it a go.

ibrahim_bazarwa
Level 3
the problem has been solved.the above error is gone just by removing the windows logs and the other problem is solved by doing pause and unpause the tape device.u all wondering but its true.amazing !!!!!!

CraigV
Howzit Ibrahim,

I think that Colin should get that solution...he'd suggested looking at the logs and deleting them, citing the Symantec reference page.