cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTL Shows as Stand Alone tape Drive

sarava
Level 3

Hi i am using Backup Exec 15 with IBM RTL connected to it, I had 3 tape drive attached to it...I added 2 more identical hardware tape drive.

But only 3 shows under RLT and other 2 tape drive shows as stand alone tape drive. Tape drive connected through SAS........Please help..

Did sequencial power cycle and rebooted the server.

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Backup Exec ships with a license for the first drive in a tape library/autoloader. Every additional drive requires a Library Expansion Option license.

In your case, with 3 drives, you'd need 2 x LEO licenses...do you have this? If not, it explains why your drives don't show up correctly in BE and will not work.

You can contact a reseller or Symantec's licensing department directly to get the additional licenses.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

How does the RL appear in the Windows Device Manager ? BE will detect the RL / tape drive the way it appears in the OS.

sarava
Level 3

Device manager, All 5 drives showes under Tape Drive.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...ok, then you'd need 4 x LEO licenses so make sure you have that.

You should also check the library's configuration and make sure it is cabled up correctly. 

Thanks!

sarava
Level 3

I have 4 LEO licenses and Cabled correctly.

sarava
Level 3

Attached Screenshot.

sarava
Level 3

Attached Screenshot.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Can you post your adamm.log file please?  I suspect that may show that the library is reporting that it only has 3 drives.

What library?  Are you using logical libraries or hardware partitioning?  If so, you need to add the 2 new drives to the logical library or partition via the library web interface first.