cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Ralus 2010 R3 and a lot of files/folders

Taipan
Level 2

New File server - Dell R510 with 16GB of Ram a 2 Intel Xeon processors (E5620 2.4 Ghz, 12MB Cache). It's running OES2 sp3 and has Backup Exec 2010 R3 Ralus installed on the server. The RALUS agent is the default agent from the Backup Exec media. OES2 sp3 has had the following command run on it smsconfig -l tsafs --tsamode=netware. On this server I have a NSS volume that contains a folder Cust1 that contains about 380,000 files in roughly 60,000 folders, 283GB of data. The nss volume is raid 10 comprised of 6 disk that are 15K rpm sata drives.

Media server - Windows Server 2003 std. 32 bit. sp2 (with the most recent microsoft updates). It's running Backup Exec 2010 R3 (no updates have been done since installation). Roughly 2 GB or Ram, 1.8 Ghz AMD 80486 processor)

Old File server - Dell 2800 with 12GB of Ram, and 2 intel xeon Irwindale processors (80546K, 2.8 Ghz, 2MB cache). Running Netware 6.5 sp8 with the Netware 2010 r3 agent on it. The Fodler Cust1 used to reside on this server. The volume it resided on was a NSS raid 5 volume with 6 disks (15K RPM). The number of files and folders were roughly the same as the New File server

All systems are on the same network and are on 1 GB connections. None of them have IPv6 enabled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Cust1 resided on the Old File server an incremental backup of this folder took roughly 6 hours and a full backup about 19. This was acceptible and worked within our backup time frame.

However we decided we needed another file server and got the Dell R510 (listed above). After doing some performance testing we determined the New Dell File server was definitely faster than the old one and decided to move the new one into production.

To free up some disk space on the Old File server we moved the cust1 folder to the new file server. Before the move when new data was being moved to this directory I was able to backup the file server very quickly. However after moving the 60,000 folders to the new file server my backups are not completing within the time window (something that was being done before on the Old File server). I'm seeing Backup to disk speeds of 7mb/min where I would ususally see somewhere between 60-110mb/min on the incrementals and 363mb/min on the Fulls.

For my backups on cust1 I'm using the archive bit. Since my backup window spans between 2 days I cannot use the use modified date and time.

All of these backups are going to my Media server (listed above) which is putting them to a backup-to-disk file. This file resides on 4 sata drives that are running raid1.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to have the RALUS agent do backups on large file structures like this and still have decent performance? By decent I'm referring to the numbers that I was seeing with my netware file server.

I have looked at my of the posting in the forum and on the web and I haven't been able to find an answer that resolves my issue. I do know that Port 10000 is available on both servers (media server and Del R510).

Thank you for your help.

0 REPLIES 0