cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ran out of memory

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
On some of the upgrades from 10.1d to 11, I am getting "ran out of memory" with the backup job. This is on windows 2003 SP1 with the latest Volume shadow copy files. What I usually do is a defrag of the hard drive and it allows the backup to run just fine.

Does anyone know what would cause this to happen, the backups ran just fine under BE10.1D but not after the upgrade 11?
12 REPLIES 12

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Refer to the following technote. The steps mentioned might help:

Backup jobs fail with "out of memory" error or memory and handle leaks appear when creating snapshots with Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service providers.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273562

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
volsnap.sys is at 5.2.3790.2762
ole32.dll is at 5.2.3790.2492
cryptsvc.dll is at 5.2.3790.1830

Which are all later version that the KB articles mention in the post.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
I am having servers continue to give me this error. This only started happening after I upgrade from 10.1d to version 11.

I have version 11 installed with the hotfix. The only thing that helps when a server gets into this situation is doing a defrag on the volume. The server that just failed was at 17% fragmented.

If anyone from Symantec is moderating this forum, please add something to my thread.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
Is there anyone from Symantec watching this forums, if so could you explain why this behavior is in the new version.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document;

Microsoft Exchange Snapshot backups may crash (Dr. Watson) in the Remote Agent (BEREMOTE.EXE)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285684

Thank You,

Shweta

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
I already have hotfix 6 on this particular server. Still is giving me the error after a couple days of backup. Once the server is defrag it will work again for the next couple of days. Are there any plans for any other hotfix for this product?

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
any ideas? Still happening, this is only happening on my domain controllers?

Is hotfix #6 the latest and greatest? Are there any service pack for 11D due for release?

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Silly question Eric, but have you restarted this server since applying the hot fixes?

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
Yes. The server has been rebooted multiple times.

I am even working with Microsoft on this issue.

The strange thing is that I am only seeing this type of error on my domain controllers. Are there any more hotfixes coming out for Backupexec 11 in the future?

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
Still happening to my servers on a weekly basis. Once I get the error I have to defrag the hard drive and it goes away for a couple of days.

Is there anyone from Symantec that could explain why this started to happen after BE 11 was installed?

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
After two months and numerous help desk sessions with Microsoft, we still cannot determine whether this issue is caused by Symantec but we are getting close to the root cause.

From this experience - next time I go to evaluate an backup solution I might not be looking at Symantec for my solution.

Too many issues with this product. This by far is the worst upgrade ever.

DaveWebb
Not applicable
Has there been any progress on this issue?  We have the same problem.

Windows 2003 Small Business Server, SP1 w/ current updates.
Backup Exec 11d, fresh install with updates (rev 7170), Hot Fix 4, Hot Fix 5

We receive the "Ran out of memory" error 0x8007000e when backing up System state.
We were on a eval copy of Backup Exec 10d and received the same error, then upgraded to 11d with patches hoping it would resolve the problem.

We are receiving no error messages in the EventLog that coorspond to the event in the backup.