cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Random "the disk is offline" alert when "media overwrite protection" enabled

Pike
Level 3

We're running Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition on our SBS2011 server and performing nightly back ups onto RDX disks. We recently installed SP2 to fix TECH192382 (IMG folders not being overwritten when located inside RDX media).

We have always had "media overwrite protection" disabled in settings but I thought I would try reenabling it now that the RDX bug is fixed (I also temporarily assigned the backup job to the Daily media set, 1 hour overwrite protection).

This seems to cause a strange problem where 1-5 hours after each night's backup has finished a "The disk is offline" media error alert is triggered (the backup is set to eject the RDX cartridge at the end), there are no other alerts or information about what exactly Backup Exec is trying to do and there is nothing scheduled at that time (DB maintenance is scheduled for 2 hours before the backup, and the only job we have set up is the nightly backup itself).

If I disable "media overwrite protection" again the alert does not happen. This is not a critical issue since we can just leave "media overwrite protection" disabled, but I would like to understand what is happening here.

So does anyone know what Backup Exec is trying to do (or how I can find out) and why it happens at a random time (between 1 and 5 hours) after the backup completes?

Thanks in advance.

Text from success email (received at 12:48 am):

(Server: "SBS2011") (Job: "SBS2011.<mydomain> Complete Backup-Full") Completed Successfully.

Text from media error email (received at 4:39 am):

(Server: "SBS2011") The disk is offline. This is typically caused by the folder becoming inaccessible due to it being deleted, renamed, or unshared. It may also be caused by a disk full condition. The folder state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition. Additional detail may be found in the Event Viewer - Application Log.

From event viewer application log:

-    System
-    Provider
            [ Name]    Backup Exec
-    EventID    58057
            [ Qualifiers]    8192
    Level    2
    Task    0
    Keywords    0x80000000000000
-    TimeCreated
            [ SystemTime]    2013-08-20T03:39:18.000000000Z
    EventRecordID    472837
    Channel    Application
    Computer    SBS2011.<mydomain>
    Security
-    EventData
            Backup Exec Alert: Media Error (Server: "SBS2011") The disk is offline. This is typically caused by the folder becoming inaccessible due to it being deleted, renamed, or unshared. It may also be caused by a disk full condition. The folder state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition. Additional detail may be found in the Event Viewer - Application Log.

0 REPLIES 0