cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-add Tape Drive - Backup Exec 2014 - Server 2012R2

christofchristo
Level 2

Hi,

I had an issue with Backup Exec 2014 where my jobs would always fail. I don't belive there is a physical isue with the device because tapes can inventory and erase, I can see the device in device manager. I cn also backup to USB without issues.

I figured I would try removing he tape drive from storage an readding it (Storage>Right Click Tape Drive>Disiable>Right Click Tape Drive>Remove).

However, now when I go to Configure Storage>Tape Storage>Run Hot Swappable Device Wizard the tape drive isn't detected.

I see that tapeinst.exe isn't avaiaible in Server 2012.

How do I re add this tape drive?

All I have tried so far is restarting the backup exec services, there doesn't appear to be much documentation around for 2014 any more.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If the tape drive is visible in Windows Device manager, then re-starting the BE services "should" be sufficient to get the tape drive re-discovered and re-added.  There is no configuration needed for a tape device to be discovered or added.

If the tape drive is NOT visible in Windows Device manager, then rebooting the server would be the first step.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If the tape drive is visible in Windows Device manager, then re-starting the BE services "should" be sufficient to get the tape drive re-discovered and re-added.  There is no configuration needed for a tape device to be discovered or added.

If the tape drive is NOT visible in Windows Device manager, then rebooting the server would be the first step.

Thank you sir! 

Was showing in device manager, restarting services didn't work, rebooted server, tape drive discovered, backup now working.

Many thanks!