cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-duplicating backup sets for archival purposes

Campbell_IT
Level 3

Hello,

Running D2D2T backups using Backup Exec 2010 R3. One of our requirements is that we do a month-end archive of certain data (email & file shares). I have the robotic library set up as one large partition, so all of the duplication jobs can write to any tape in the partition in a given week. We have it set up this way so it's easy for people to swap them when I am out of the office. The tapes are labelled Week 1A, Week 1B, etc. We also have a Week 2 set.

I do not want to have to pull tapes out of our regular rotation tapes to archive. I want to do a second duplication of the data in question AFTER it has already been duplicated by the jobs created by my policy. I have been doing this manually, but is quite cumbersome to find the proper disk files to duplicate and when I have tried doing a T2T duplication (which seems easier to set up), it is very slow and monopolizes both drives in the library.

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Campbell_IT
Level 3

Found my own solution. Since I hate when people don't follow up on their threads if they find a solution, I'm sharing it here.

I ended up just using a couple of my standalone drives and every month I redirect the Full job to those two drives and I have my Month-end media preloaded. The standalone drives are LTO5 drives, so when we outgrow the LTO5 media, I will re-partition our tape library (which has LTO6 drives) and create a separate partition specifically for month-end tapes.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can set up a separate media set for your archive tapes and then add another duplicate job to your policy to target this archive media set.

================

BTW, unless you have a very good reason, do not delete discussions especially after they have been answered.  I am talking about your discussion on why your discussion is marked as private. If the problem is solved, mark the solution and leave it so that others can benefit from the solution.

Campbell_IT
Level 3

Thanks for your reply, pkh. I have already created a Media Set that is set to Keep Data Forever. What I'm struggling with is how to set up the policy to duplicate the sets from the last Full backup of the month. Any input on that?

Thanks!

Campbell_IT
Level 3

Regarding deleting my other post - I did not do that. Must have been a moderator. I could not find it and when I clicked the link in the email notification, it came back as a bad link.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Add the monthly job to your existing policy and link it to your backup.

Campbell_IT
Level 3

Hmmm. Not really seeing how to do this. I tried copying my policy so I would have a policy to test with and then I set up a duplicate job that ran after my usual duplicate job. This second duplicate job targeted another partition using my archive media set. It would not save and gave me the error message "only rules to duplicate backup sets can be used with the duplicate backup sets job type". 

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Campbell_IT
Level 3

Found my own solution. Since I hate when people don't follow up on their threads if they find a solution, I'm sharing it here.

I ended up just using a couple of my standalone drives and every month I redirect the Full job to those two drives and I have my Month-end media preloaded. The standalone drives are LTO5 drives, so when we outgrow the LTO5 media, I will re-partition our tape library (which has LTO6 drives) and create a separate partition specifically for month-end tapes.