cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-install of BE 11D to move off some final files and can't access any target servers

jstrowe
Level 3

I had to uinstall and reinstall BE 11d from this 2003 server I have.  I'm mostly all move to 2012 (it's not a great product but it is what it is)

Here's the problem.  I had to create a new login account and the darning thing does not work on any of my other servers.  This 2003 box used to be a domain controller and over the weekend I demoted it, renamed and removed and added it back to the domain.  The old name and IP I moved to a 2008 box as a new domain controller.

I'm at a loss.  The pw, domain credentials are right . (period, they're right/confirmed multiple times)  But I get a 'query failed",  a  failed to access domain-name, etc all looking like it's credentials.  I can even traverse to the one notes server via command line (as my logged in user/same as in BE)

At this point I could just as easily smoke the whole server except there is some last data that I'd rather not get off by robocopy but that's apparently my next step.

thoughts for further trouble shooting?   Do I have to reinstall the agent on the remote servers since the server name is different?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jstrowe
Level 3

So here's the final answer.

1. I removed 11D since I had originally had on 2010.  (ok I'm amusingly an end user on that one LOL)

2. Issues you may run into... I had to run a cleanup utility for sql since even after I removed the various sql parts 2010 still said (no you have sql stuff left)  So MS has a few cleanup installer utilities that removed the remnants

3. After that clean up 2010 went back on.

4. YEP you do have to reinstall the agent since my original server name had changed.  I don't know how the BE server handshakes with the clients but it my one server I was testing didn't work with the 2010 agent from the "old name" and removing/reinstalling it made it work.

i.e. yes you do have to reinstall the agent.

Honesly this server's not going to be around long.  I'm going to back up the stuff on it and then smoke it/ reinstall BE2010 (for my legacy tapes) and pretty much finish my migration to 2012 on my new box with L6 tapes. (this one had L3)

My original BE database was corrupt anyway. (drat..) so I had to start over.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Use this KB to update the server name - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH38988.html

Secondly, do ensure the new account is in the format domain\user, is set as the Default System Logon Account and has the permissions as per - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH23689.html

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 11d does not support Server 2012 and, I think, Server 2008.  If you are trying to use BE 11d to backup these servers, then you will have a problem.

jstrowe
Level 3

1. KB was too late, I had reinstalled so it was not relevant.  (vjware)

2. Yes I know on the 2012 servers.  This was more for a legacy tape library and older tapes (pkh)

3. I'm going to try reinstalling the agent on one of my target servers.  Frankly some of the newer servers if that's the solution I'll just cut my losses and cut them over to my new BE server anyway.

4. Yes I know on the domain format.  I've done this for a long time.  Remember I said I had tried logging onto those servers from a command line.  i.e. from my post I can even traverse to the one notes server via command line (as my logged in user/same as in BE)" (vjware)

If anyone has any other comments feel free, but I think my next step is to remove and reinstall the agent on one of my targets.  If that works I"ll post here.

jstrowe
Level 3

So here's the final answer.

1. I removed 11D since I had originally had on 2010.  (ok I'm amusingly an end user on that one LOL)

2. Issues you may run into... I had to run a cleanup utility for sql since even after I removed the various sql parts 2010 still said (no you have sql stuff left)  So MS has a few cleanup installer utilities that removed the remnants

3. After that clean up 2010 went back on.

4. YEP you do have to reinstall the agent since my original server name had changed.  I don't know how the BE server handshakes with the clients but it my one server I was testing didn't work with the 2010 agent from the "old name" and removing/reinstalling it made it work.

i.e. yes you do have to reinstall the agent.

Honesly this server's not going to be around long.  I'm going to back up the stuff on it and then smoke it/ reinstall BE2010 (for my legacy tapes) and pretty much finish my migration to 2012 on my new box with L6 tapes. (this one had L3)

My original BE database was corrupt anyway. (drat..) so I had to start over.