cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading old tapes

Chet_Rann
Level 2

Is there a way to view the contents on a tape (Backup Exec 2010, HP MSL2024) without performing a restore?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Yes, you will need to catalog that tape first. Once the catalog job completes successfully, (for Backup Exec 2010 R3 and prior) you can right-click on the media label from Devices tab and select Restore Now.

This will open the Restore selections view, this is where you will see the contents of that tape.

Simply cancel the restore job properties i.e. without saving the job if you dont wish to run any restores.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Yes, you will need to catalog that tape first. Once the catalog job completes successfully, (for Backup Exec 2010 R3 and prior) you can right-click on the media label from Devices tab and select Restore Now.

This will open the Restore selections view, this is where you will see the contents of that tape.

Simply cancel the restore job properties i.e. without saving the job if you dont wish to run any restores.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You run an inventory and then a catalog job on the tape to see whats written on the tape.

Contents of the tape will be displayed in the restore window.

Chet_Rann
Level 2

Thanks all. Was hoping for a quick utility but, I understand.

Appreciate it!