cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready; no media servers are available

jcruz1027
Level 2

Hoping you folks can help a newbie to the backup exec world...I kind of inherited this issue when a co-worker suddenly passed away.  I'm using Backup Exec 2010 R3 with current LiveUpdates applied on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  We have a Dell Powervault that is used for disk-to-disk backups and a HP Storageworks MSL4048 for disk-to-tape backups.

Currently, none of the scheduled backup jobs are running.  They indicate "Ready; no media servers are available".  When I look at Device Manager I see that my Media Changer is set to "Unknown" and Backup Exec can see the tape drives and slots.  Installed the Symantec drivers using the wizard.  But when I try to run a inventory or any other job, I get the "Ready; no media servers are available".

A couple interesting things.  When I try to restart Backup Exec Services, they stop fine but when they try to start again, the Device & Media Service can't start forcing me to restart the entire server.  When I shut everything down and disconnect the MSL4048 tape library from the server and restart the server, my disk-to-disk jobs run fine and I'm able to restart services without any issues.  So I know this revolves around my tape library but I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If removing Tape library from BE server fixes the issue with backups to B2D folder then the issue is definitely with tape library hardware.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129510

Refer to the last few steps (also copied below) in the following document:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55748 

1. Check if is there any tape stuck in the Tape Drive of Tape library. If there is any tape stuck then unload that tape using web-based console or Front panel of the tape library.

2. If there is no tape stuck in the Tape drive of the Tape Library, This issue will come up when the tape hardware is at fault.

3. Disconnect the tape hardware (drive/library) from the server and reboot the server. Backup to disk jobs will run fine after disconnecting the tape hardware.

Resolve the underlying hardware issue to fix the problem with backup to tape.

I have seen in most cases the issue is with a tape stuck in the drive. If that doesn't help then invovle your hardware vendor.

Addition Information:

This issue comes up when Backup Exec Device and Media database is not able to discover all the devices connected to the server and thus it pauses all the jobs. In your case it is the tape library and when it is disconnected from the server the jobs targeted to other devices (like B2D) works fine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The library showing as "unknown" is fine, but sounds like it may be defective

I'd start by grabbing a copy of the HP LTT (Library and Tape Tools), reconnect everything and run a test.  Be sure to shut down all BackupExec services before doing so)

jcruz1027
Level 2

Thanks for the lead Ken.  I installed the HP LTT and ran all the available tests on the library but the only warning I received was that there is a firmware upgrade available.  All the available tests on the drive passed.

One thing, I beliebe my co-worker (the one who suddenly passed away) had to abruptly shutdown the server and tape library while a Exchange Store backup was being performed.  It was after that incident that this issue came up.

Any other suggestions?

Jerry

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if that service isn't starting up correctly I'd recommend running a repair of BE first through Add/Remove Programs.

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If removing Tape library from BE server fixes the issue with backups to B2D folder then the issue is definitely with tape library hardware.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129510

Refer to the last few steps (also copied below) in the following document:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55748 

1. Check if is there any tape stuck in the Tape Drive of Tape library. If there is any tape stuck then unload that tape using web-based console or Front panel of the tape library.

2. If there is no tape stuck in the Tape drive of the Tape Library, This issue will come up when the tape hardware is at fault.

3. Disconnect the tape hardware (drive/library) from the server and reboot the server. Backup to disk jobs will run fine after disconnecting the tape hardware.

Resolve the underlying hardware issue to fix the problem with backup to tape.

I have seen in most cases the issue is with a tape stuck in the drive. If that doesn't help then invovle your hardware vendor.

Addition Information:

This issue comes up when Backup Exec Device and Media database is not able to discover all the devices connected to the server and thus it pauses all the jobs. In your case it is the tape library and when it is disconnected from the server the jobs targeted to other devices (like B2D) works fine.

jcruz1027
Level 2

Thanks for the solution.  Turned out I had a stuck tape in the library.