Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving error 0xe00084ca when trying to catalog a tape

Simon_Diamond
Level 2

Hi...

I hope someone here can help me or push me in the right direction:

Last weekend we had our normal NDMP backup which crashed with error code E00081D9 (Job Status: 'Recovered') since the Backup Exec job engine service wasn't responding.

Now when trying to perform a restore from that job/tape the restore job finishes successfully but no bytes/data is restored:

Byte count          : 0 bytes
Job rate            : 0.00 MB/Min (Byte count of all backup sets divided by Elapsed time for all backup sets)
Files               : 0
Directories         : 0 
Skipped files       : 0 
Corrupt files       : 0 
Files in use        : 0
Original start time : Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:35:40 PM 
Job started         : Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:35:55 PM 
Job ended           : Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:37:16 PM 
Elapsed time        : 00:01:21

Trying to catalog the tape results in error 0xE00084CA and using the method regarding "Use Fast File Restore" described here doesn't help either - the restore still takes about 1 1/2 minutes, finishes successfully and restores 0 bytes/files.

So any help would be highly appreciated since i haven't found a good solution here or on Google. cool

We currently are using Backup Exec 2010 R3 on Windows Server 2008 R2. This data does not span multiple tapes (just one) and is not encrypted.

Thanks in advance!!

6 REPLIES 6

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Try to duplicate the backup to disk and perform the restore from disk. Is it finishing with the same result?

Simon_Diamond
Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply w-d. However when tryting to create a B2D folder i cannot select our NDMP storage system (see attachment). Selecting a local folder results in error e000131b when running the job and entering the direct path to our NDMP server is not accepted by BackupExec.

Am i missing something? Is there a special way to create an NDMP B2D folder that i haven't found or am i doing something wrong?

TIA

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

My intention was to make duplicate backup to disk (from existing backup to tape) and then run the restore from this duplicated backup (you create duplicate jobs by selecting "new job to duplicate backup sets" on the left hand side of the console under "job setup").

Simon_Diamond
Level 2
I know what your intention was but since this is an NDMP backup i cannot restore it to a normal file share or a local folder and when creating a B2D folder under devices so i can later select it as destination i cannot choose our NDMP server. Is there a way to add an NDMP folder to the B2D?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...no way to do this unfortunately.

Simon_Diamond
Level 2
Ole Craig... Not happy to hear that you can't add NDMP folders to B2D ... but that's life...any specific (technical) reason for this? And am i correct in assuming that restoring data from a tape/job that failed due to the service restart won't be possible even though i can browse through the tape's content and see the files I'd like to recover? TIA